This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing with CRA for support payments

My partner has to submit this form to CRA called "Registration of Family Support Payments" before we do our income taxes. I'm sure lots of you are familiar with it.

There are three questions we're stuck on, and I forgot to call CRA today before they closed, and just in case I forget to call tomorrow I'll ask about them here.

"Enter the date support payments for a child are scheduled to end."

Well, his oldest turns 18 this summer and has mentioned he's planning to take a year off school, so do we put his birthday in there? He's also got another child who's 13, and support payments will end for him... who knows when? It's still another 4.5 years until he turns 18.

"Enter the date support payments for a spouse are scheduled to end."

Again, there has been no set date because the order is an interim order and there's been no settlement or final order.

"Will the amounts of these support payments be adjusted in any way while this order or agreement is in effect?"

If he's planning to file a motion to have support payments reduced, then does he say yes?

Teeny,

Is there an order for child support and spousal support? If no spousal support then you likely will not need to file this form.

Comment

Yes, there's an order for both.

Comment

Teezy,

I believe your partner would only need to complete it for the spousal support payments.

In the first paragraph of instructions it says if the order for spousal support was made after April 1997... It then gives the option if it was made before - do not even bother reading the rest of that paragraph if the order was made after April 1997, as it just confuses people.

If his order has spousal support outlined, just complete it for that. The purpose is because he will be able to claim a tax deduction for it. He cannot do so for the child support section so it is irrelevant unless the cs order was prior to 1997 (in which case he could claim a deduction for cs and spousal I believe, hence this form would then be used for both - but use it only for spousal if cs order was made after 1997). Hope that helps.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1158/t1158-11e.pdf
        Last edited by OhMy; 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Teezy,

If you review this guide it will help you with what you are looking for.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p102/p102-12e.pdf

But in answer to your questions.

1. put the youngest child's 18th birthday as you are guaranteed to pay child support until that date. If it's still going after then you can file a new form.

2. If you have a finite end date for the support put this if it's an indefinite put it many years into the future.

3. Yes they would be adjusted. Once your oldest is no longer a child of the marriage and support ends it will change and again once your youngest child is done it will change. Spousal support if it is not indefinite it will also change.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Stemmy just wanted to mention child support does not end at the age of 18 always. If the child is in school and lives with the full time prent you continue to pay until they are done! Also certain areas are not based on ending at 18 because it is thought that the children of certain areas are accustomed to a higher level of living.. A friend I know paid until hr daughter was 25 and done school!

Comment

Originally posted by thorns View Post
                Stemmy just wanted to mention child support does not end at the age of 18 always. If the child is in school and lives with the full time prent you continue to pay until they are done! Also certain areas are not based on ending at 18 because it is thought that the children of certain areas are accustomed to a higher level of living.. A friend I know paid until hr daughter was 25 and done school!
                Thank you thorns for pointing out the obvious. I think you should re-read my post as I said you are guaranteed to pay until that date. No where did I say that was the absolute end date. The purpose of the T1158 form that the OP was talking about is solely for the purpose of determining what amount of support is deductible as child support starting May 1997 is not, unless the agreement was in place prior to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stemmy View Post
                  Thank you thorns for pointing out the obvious. I think you should re-read my post as I said you are guaranteed to pay until that date. No where did I say that was the absolute end date. The purpose of the T1158 form that the OP was talking about is solely for the purpose of determining what amount of support is deductible as child support starting May 1997 is not, unless the agreement was in place prior to that.
                  It should be obvious about Child Support but you did suggest the age 18...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X