X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeal filed

Hi all,

Just updating on my progress through the court system. The Final Order took time away from the children with their Father and reduced me to an Uncle (Sole Custody) so I have filed the appeal ($240 here in Ontario just to file) and am now looking at $1000 for the transcripts and probably another 2-300 for copies of all the docs I need. I know the final order isn't the right decision and even though I have no idea where I'm going to get the money for the appeal, I have to continue to try and have the courts see that the children need and deserve their Father as much as their Mother.

I also found out that an appeal is a civil trial and has different procedures and forms....interesting but not unmanageable. Will continue to document the procedure for future reference. I hope no one else has to go this route, in fact I hope the laws change soon but they won't if some of us don't walk this path. If my case can wake some up to what's going on, then so be it.

Hows your kids doing since the final disposition.

Comment

They're doing ok, the oldest is not happy with losing her weekly sleepover with Daddy and has said so to Mommy in front of me. they're both fairly young so the adjustment should be ok until I get the order overturned...the female judge saw the Mother as something she isn't and with no evidence of it in the trial....Gender Bias in Family Court...no way!!

Comment

That's good their not calling you Uncle. May take some status quo of adjustment as the the dust is still settling with the recent present future outlook.

Comment

Thanks LV,

There isn't really a lot of adjustment, they took away an overnight and both of the children are in daycare so they actually spend more time there than anywhere. The Sole Custody hurt though, not having any say in their lives makes me feel more distant than I really am. Trying to keep it all in perspective while I move forward with the appeal. On a good note, everything else in my life is great and I am in good health....

Comment

You're fortunate. But I don't think your young kids understand that nature of the terminology or everything that has gone down in their world as they knew it. Their schedule is going to change as they grow and hopefully to the better. To them you are Dad and most likely always will be.

Comment

True, though her new bf has made it clear he'll be taking care of them from now on because I'm a "lousy Father and that's why the court made the order it did". Seems I may have some work to remain relevant in their lives, but I'm up for the challenge

Comment

I wouldn't let the name calling bother you so much. Time will tell, with respect to the allegation. So far, it looks like your kids still see you in a positive way. Would the appeal coin not better serve your kids in some capacity such as their future education costs. Seeding in advance, so to say.

Comment

I already have the education costs started and should have that looked after, and I still think having me in their lives more is better for them...if the court says otherwise after the appeal, I'm gonna have to just be the best I can be under the order.

Comment

Yeah, I think thats all one could do and hope for even in the interim.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X