Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revenge

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new member to this forum but unfortunately not new to my divorce that has dragged on for almost 6 years. My ex has revenge on her mind so regardless of how good my offers have been it is never enough and she refuses to give me a divorce until all issues are settled. The sting in the tail is they are never settled because she will not negotiate, she's a "my way or the highway" kind-of-girl.
    I have just filed a 14b motion to sever the divorce from the other issues, I did this without a lawyer as I've spent so much already, I cannot afford any more fees.
    My ex has filed a response, making many false claims. Can I file a rebuttal to her affidavit or do I have to wait until the judge decides to either accept my story or hers.
    Hope someone can advise me

John 123

Just go to trial

Comment

Easier said than done. Who has a spare $100,000 for lawyers fees

Comment

So are there children involved or just money and possessions?

Comment

Why do you need to sever the divorce? Are you looking to get married again in the near future? Unless there's a pressing reason that you need to be single sooner rather than later, why not continue waiting her out? If she continues to make unreasonable offers, continue to counter with reasonable ones. You can do this with a lawyer or you can represent yourself in your counteroffers.

My understanding is that severing corollary issues makes it even less likely that they will get resolved because severing removes one of the "carrots" for the obstinate party - the prospect of being completely done with the marriage. So my advice is that unless you have really strong reasons why you need the legal divorce to get done, don't sever it. You've survived six years so far, you can wait her out for a while longer.

Comment

What exactly are the issues? 6 years seems like a long time, especially if they are small issues that you are just not giving in on just because

Comment

It sounds like his ex doesn't want to settle and uses the process to make sure he isn't granted a divorce. She might be a little more agreeable by taking the one thing that she wants to prevent out of the equation. If the divorce goes through then there is no reason for her not to settle as the main thing she wanted (preventing divorce) is no longer an issue.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X