This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario to force couples seeking divorce to attend mediation session

I am going through a divorce process... notice has been served... so how does this new rule impact me...

Ontario to force couples seeking divorce to attend mediation session | Daily Brew - Yahoo! News

You go to an information session and get your form stamped. Your ex does the same.

If you are the applicant you better go. If your ex is the respondent and doesn't, they can't use that to refuse court action, the process would go ahead but they look like crap.

The article is misleading BTW. It isn't a mediation session, you attend separately and the session describes the court process and suggest ways you can settle out of court.

Comment

In New Brunswick way back in 2000, we were supposed to attend "For the Sake of the Children." Part I was mandatory and Part II was for high conflict divorces. I went and got my form signed. My ex-wife refused but the court didn't care.

I think the information on separation and divorce should be given to both a groom and bride before a marriage license is issued, as opposed to after a marital breakdown. Of course, the question could be asked if it is useful at all!

Comment

Doesn't matter anyway. Walk into any class with a closed mind and see hom much you learn. Nada.

Comment

It's called an MIP "Mandatory Information Program". Like Mess said it's an information session. It's usually 2 hours long. The first to speak can either be the lawyer and this person will tell you all the legal aspects and what to expect when you go through the different stages up to divorce and court. Then either a Social Worker or someone who works with children will tell you what the effect is on children, what not to involve them in, how to stay neutral to each other for the sake of the children ect.

I just came back from one about a month ago. I know a lot of places where the lawyer will not give advice on this for fear that someone could come back on them and say "well such and such lawyer said I could do that or couldn't do that". Then they could be in trouble and be sued themselves. They also want the lawyers to do this for free and again that's not what they want.
          Hope this helps

Comment

hm... so looks like it will be a torture for me... as I have no kids and no property issue.... so LORAC... what all would I have to go through??

I have served notice to my wife.... so I am waiting for 30 days... when do and how do I will have to attend this class??

Thanks

Comment

Morning Canucks,

My lawyer sent me a notice in the mail letting me know on what date to appear at the court house. Your wife will also get a notice telling her when she has to appear. When it's over you will get a certificate stating you attended the session. Either you or your lawyer can file it at the court house after they've stamped it showing proof you were there and then it's filed.

I also do not have any children involved they are all adults with children of their own. Regardless you will still have to sit and listen to that 1/2 of the session. It's a very simple pain in the butt but nothing difficult about it whatsover. Just attend, listen, file, and go home :-)

Cheers

Comment

Info Session

And should this not apply to common law as well?
                If it is designed to consider the best interest of the children, do not common law children deserve their parents attending? There has to be some constitiutuional right of the children violation.

Comment

Must apply to common law since I was (common law) and had to go!

Comment

Really. That is odd because people who are common-law don't really get divorced!

Comment

No but they can have kids, custody and support issues, and end up in family court.

I experienced this when it was a Toronto-only program, so I'm just assuming the province wide program is identical, or at least very similar.

As soon as you file an application for trial in family court you were required to attend the session. So if it was divorce, yes, but also if you were common law and seeking custody or child support or spousal support, you still went through the family court system and had to take the session.

The main purpose was to encourage alternative dispute resolution, be it mediation or anything else. We got a talk from a clerk from FLIC, a video starring Peter Mansbridge and then a Q&A with a divorce lawyer who's main theme was how much money he would charge us if we had to hire him.

Comment

It is the same across Ontario now. You go in to see a video and have a Q&A after.

The only problem I have is you have to attend every time your go back to court for another issue.

So I have a Divorce Final Order but need to bring my Ex to court to change CS due to the Ex's change in income. Ex does not want to pay CS. Each time this is required I need to attend the session. So if my Ex does not want to pay the proper CS according to tables (this depends on the Ex's income changing every year) then I have to attend the session each time I file a new motion.

They have a comments form at the end of the session so please fill it out and submit it.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                          Doesn't matter anyway. Walk into any class with a closed mind and see how much you learn. Nada.
                          Excellent point. Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                            No but they can have kids, custody and support issues, and end up in family court.
                            What a shame eh?

I experienced this when it was a Toronto-only program, so I'm just assuming the province wide program is identical, or at least very similar.
                            I have audited the program in other jurisdictions. You are correct in your assumption.

As soon as you file an application for trial in family court you were required to attend the session. So if it was divorce, yes, but also if you were common law and seeking custody or child support or spousal support, you still went through the family court system and had to take the session.
                            The flaw with the system is that it is not required from what I can tell to file the stamped and signed forms in the continuing record. From what I can tell only if the other party requests it does it ever get seen. I could be wrong.

The main purpose was to encourage alternative dispute resolution, be it mediation or anything else.
                            The video is "ok" but, a bit dated in my opinion. From my recollection they do not discuss anything about "collaborative" process or enough about it.

We got a talk from a clerk from FLIC, a video starring Peter Mansbridge and then a Q&A with a divorce lawyer who's main theme was how much money he would charge us if we had to hire him.
                            My opinion is that the content provided generally surrounds "costs" more than the "best interests of the children". I think parents would walk away with more if the session was more focused on the needs of the children and defrocking a bunch of the "divorce myths" surrounding custody and access.

Money is an important issue but, I just feel the needs of the children is paramount to the "cost" of the litigation process. Also, everyone should walk out (my opinion) with a copy of Justice Brownstone's book "Tug of War".

Good luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Short version, my ex hadn't paid a penny in child support in over 2 years since separation. I'd sent several offers, she wouldn't respond to them for up to 6 months.

When she attended the session, I talked to her on the phone shortly afterwards and her comment was "It's obvious that the courts will say that you are wasting their time!", a comment that was paraphrased from session.

Of course the judge at the first case conference ripped her to pieces. My point is, people end up in court most often because at least one party is not thinking things through rationally or attempting to be reasonable. My ex had no interest in negotiating, or settling, and she took nothing positive or useful out of the session.

The problem with both these sessions and Brownstone's book, "Tug of War" is that they don't address the issue that one party may be willing to negotiate and compromise, while the other party just wants to bulldoze, or stall, or avoid. Brownstone is fond of describing litigants as "immature" but he seems to miss the point (in his writing, at least, and in the radio interviews I've listened to) that the court is last resort and sometimes the only resort of someone who is truly being victimized. And being faced with irrational stubborness is what cost people so much time, money, stress, anxiety and wastes the court's time.

The court needs to be there to address situations where there is a power imbalance and no will to co-operate. In these cases, mediation and collaborative law aren't going to work, they are going to waste thousands more dollars and a year or more of people's lives.

The main benefit of the session IMHO is give people an alternative viewpoint that is hopefully objective, when they have just been seeing a "shark" lawyer that is looking to drag out a situation and milk it. Or, to be more generous, a lawyer of less than ideal competence or experience who isn't providing all of the options up front.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X