Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member....I need to catch up!

Hey all.

I am at the point being separated for 2.5 years where we are about to hammer out details of our separation agreement.

She makes over 2x my income (120k vs 60k) and always has. Lots of background about money etc... She has had the kids over 80% of the time last 2 years but that is mostly because I have been working an incredible amount to get a house and furnish it as I didnt take anything when she left.....

Basically, I would really like to have 50/50 with our two young (4 &6) kids, but haven't been able to because I haven't been able to afford to slow down working insane hours to put a life together. She is rocking it, new house, lots of money, all the time with the kids, great job.

I imagine I should apply for 50/50 and then take the child and spousal support that comes with it. Thats what everyone seems to tell me, I just feel kinda strange taking money from her, that said, I am working so much I can hardly see my kids at the moment.

My lawyer says I should get 50/50 and take the approx 1400/month that she would have to pay me. Estimates of CS825 and SS 645 Midrange.

Advice and input greatly appreciated from those further down this road or in similar situation.

Questions:
    1) Is it reasonable for me to get 50/50?
    2) Is it reasonable for me to get SS and CS?
    3) Anything else I should be going for? I don't always stick up for myself well.

Thx
    Maverick
    Last edited by gimmeahand; 01-21-2018, 02:46 AM. Reason: more accurate info

first you have to prove you are entitled to SS. Just because she makes more doesnt make it a guarantee. You havent needed it for the last 2.5 years so you would be hard pressed to prove you need it.

How long were you married for? Did you give up career advancements to further her career?

why havent you had 50/50 all this time. You set up status quo where she has the kids the majority of the time. Yes you can use the excuse of working etc but how will that change if you get 50/50?

Lawyers will tell you what you want to here as the longer a battle goes on, the more money they make.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Timeline is this.

1) 2 years ago we sold house, split money
      2) We were planning to move to BC from AB, she went ahead and bought a house, I bought an investment property in AB.
      3) I finished projects in AB and 6 months later I went to BC
      4) I moved into the basement suite in the house she bought planning on sorting things out and moving back in together.
      5) We went to couples counselling and shortly after she said that there was NO chance of us moving forward together and then I got my own place.
      6) I had spent cash on an investment property for us, so had to work like crazy (self employed) to buy a house I could have the kids live in with me.
      7) Spent the last 2 years renovating the house I bought and working crazy hours to pay for it.
      8) House is finally great and I would like to spend a lot more time with my kids. If I get support $ from her, I can afford to work less and spend that time with the kids.
      9) I am just learning about "status quo" this week. Hmm.

-I am freaked out at the moment that all the work I have done for my kids to be with me was wasted because of a "status quo". The only reason that I had to work so much was because she tricked me into letting her move to BC with kids saying we might get back together in BC.

-Lawyer seemed to think getting SS and CS would be straightforward. If I got this, I could afford to work less that the current 12 hrs per day and I could spend time with my kids that they need. They keep asking to spend more time with me. I am gut wrenched at all this.

Comment

how long were you married for?

Comment

9 yrs, she was the primary income earner The whole time

Comment

Why is the current parenting schedule not working for the kids? How will 50/50 be better for the kids?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X