Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing

My ex has the kids 6 nights a month. For the last two years, I have supplied him with clothing for them at his home.

My lawyer, is telling me this is not necessary, and he should be supplying the clothing for them on his time.

I know this is petty, but thought I would throw it out there for the members here, cause your far less expensive then a lawyers bill.

Off course their winter outta wear should be supplied by me, I am talking running shoes, Pj's, slipper, socks, underwear, school clothes/play clothes for them to wear while at his home.

1st of all always remember: Lawyers are educated used cars sales people. Lawyers make money off two peoples emotion not from logic. Education does not make oneself intelligent. It only confirms if you have the ability to remember.

Does your ex pay child support? I assume yes.... Child support is in place to cover these items.

I look at an argument as work vs return. Is it worth the return to argue with your ex over clothing? I mean is it worth the stress and heated battles this will cause? Really? I would rather spend my time with my kids free of any stress; I and my kids enjoy the time better than when there are battles on the horizon.

You are correct..it is very petty. Filter what your lawyer may say. They are dirt.

Comment

If you have 50/50 then you share clothing costs. If you are sending them to him a few nights a month you pack clothes for them.

You would be petty if you sent them without clothes.

Comment

If a parent is paying table CS, then that is supposed to represent 100% of the money they are obligated to spend on the child (excluding S7 expenses). To put it another way, that is how much they would spend on the child if they did not see the child at all.

The recipient parent does not get less CS if the paying parent has the kids a few nights a month, so the recipient parent is still responsible for clothing. In theory, recipient parent should also be responsible for food.

Think about it, CS really covers three major costs:
        1) Shelter
        2) Food
        3) Clothing

Maybe some entertainment too, but that's not a major expense.

Making a parent pay CS and then buy their own clothing is double dipping.

However, no court is going to order you to send clothes, so you can avoid sending clothes and get away with it. However, in theory, the custodial parent is responsible for clothing costs.

Comment

Would seem to me that child support would cover this, and a parent having to buy clothes the kids would outgrow before even really getting much wear out of seems a but much. Save the money to spend on something more useful for the kids.

Comment

So if you have 50/50 and pay offset child support ...you share the clothing costs ?

Comment

Mine is not a legal response but here is what I do.

I send kids with what they need for the entire time at Dad’s. (Yes - clothes, pj’s, socks, undies, extra shoes, etc. He has only ever bought slippers and bathing suits for his house.) At the end of their time, they put all the dirty clothes in the bag and bring them home. I wash them and put them away. Their Dad only gets them EOW (his choice) so I don’t want him spending the brief time he has the kids doing their laundry.
              Last edited by SadAndTired; 10-09-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanman View Post
                So if you have 50/50 and pay offset child support ...you share the clothing costs ?
                You would buy what you need for your house and your ex buys for theirs. Coats, boots, etc could be shared.
                Last edited by SadAndTired; 10-09-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks all, makes sense and obviously not worth any legal fees. I will continue to buy them extra clothes to leave at Dad's house as the seasons change. Packing for them each time doesn't work for me.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X