Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Settlement conference in 2 days - how do we cancel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement conference in 2 days - how do we cancel?

Is there anyway to cancel/dismiss or get through as cheaply as possible, a settlement conference that is booked for two days from now if both parties have agreed to settle, made the arrangements and want to save major costs of court on Friday? How do you stop this train?

are there any contact numbers that you can call to find out information.

Comment

Originally posted by onedayatatime View Post
      Is there anyway to cancel/dismiss or get through as cheaply as possible, a settlement conference that is booked for two days from now if both parties have agreed to settle, made the arrangements and want to save major costs of court on Friday? How do you stop this train?
      What major costs? Just tell your respective lawyers not to show, that's the only cost you'd be faced with then the two of you go and just tell the judge that you've reached an agreement. I'm not sure of the issue?

Comment

The other thing you could try is to call the courthouse and to explain. They may accept it if you and you ex both resend your confirmation of attendance but just note on it that neither of you won't be attending. I'd think that the court clerk might accept that, but call the courthouse, they can tell you - otherwise, just show up on your own - there should be no costs to speak of.

Comment

I agree with ONtario Dad.
          Kee in mind that your respective lawyers have already racked up preparation time for the settlement conference. Your legal costs for attending a settlement conference might pale in comparison.

Comment

The costs I'm talking about are the lawyers insisting that it is too late to cancel and that both lawyers say they will be there, stbx's lawyer will also be charging him for the 2 hour each way drive there from out of town as well - $800.

I'll call the courthouse tomorrow to see what they say. Good idea. Things get so overcomplicated I forget about the simple stuff. Our lawyers have been playing a lot of this game by themselves to keep the pot stirring and we just want to stop it after almost 3 years. My stbx and I finally agreed on a settlement today and even the one hour in court on Friday will still cost $1000+ in legal...that might not sound like much but do that for 2.5 years and it adds up.

Are minutes of settlement required to be completed before the settlement conference?

Comment

you should ask other party for adjournment if they do not agree do it on form 14C what you have to serve 2 days before if I am not mistaken...

RULE 17: CONFERENCES

PARTIES TO CONFIRM ATTENDANCE

(14) Not later than 2 p.m. two days before the date scheduled for the conference, each party shall file a confirmation (Form 14C). O. Reg. 114/99, r. 17 (14); O. Reg. 202/01, s. 5 (6).

so if you instruct you lawyer in writing before that time there is only one reason why they do not make it happened... answer in your post
              Last edited by WorkingDAD; 10-19-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X