how am I to calculate child support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how am I to calculate child support?

I know it sounds stupid...but I am confused on how do I calculate over $150,000?
    My Ex has provided his T4.
    On it it states his income as 202077.91
    on line 40 he has extra taxable income at 14228.13 (car expenses etc)
    total: $216306.04
    Agreed deductions of : $14,900 (car expenses and travel to visit child)

total: 201406.04

Quebec guidelines:
    150000 = child support is 1223 and 72% of difference

This is where I get confused and need someone to dummy it down for me:
    201406.04 - 150000= 51406.04

72% of 51406.04= 37012.35 (?)
    Then what do I do? Is that right?

37012.35 / 12 months=3084.36 per month plus 1223 ???= 4307.36 ??
    This cant be right.
    1223 x12 months= 14676 a year
    37012.35 a year= 51688.35
    =4307.36 per month?

FYI for anyone interested in the future or a math dummy:
    .72%
    I was forgetting the decimal!

370.12 plus the monthly of 1223. in my case for the figures above

I wont be able to get this amount , never mind the miscalculated thousands!

Comment

You can confirm on this site, it's easier than trying to figure it out manually.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/c.../look-rech.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
        You can confirm on this site, it's easier than trying to figure it out manually.

Child Support Table Look-up

Danger danger Will Robinson. That site won't work for incomes over 150,000.

MySupportCalculator.ca

Only free site that actually works that I know of. It appears that QC isn't on the list they provide the service for.

With an income of over 200k one would think the other party's lawyer would simply figure it out in Divorce Mate.
        Last edited by Tayken; 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

It calculated the same amount the OP did of $1593.12. mysupportcalculator doesn't have an option for Quebec, at least it didn't show on my mobile

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            It calculated the same amount the OP did of $1593.12. mysupportcalculator doesn't have an option for Quebec, at least it didn't show on my mobile

I would double check to make sure the over 150,000 scale is calculated correctly against DivorceMate if possible. It gets weird after 150,000.

Comment

I had checked that site (thank u) but was trying to figure it manually bc for some reason the lawyers spent 3 hours arguing at a case conference about the tables (the look up) , and argued on which province, what tables to use, what amount to use, what deductions etc. It's a farce.
              I am approaching this using the manual calculations and just submitting this info as what we will be going by. I'm just hoping to have something garnished at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by roxyroller71 View Post
                I had checked that site (thank u) but was trying to figure it manually bc for some reason the lawyers spent 3 hours arguing at a case conference about the tables (the look up) , and argued on which province, what tables to use, what amount to use, what deductions etc. It's a farce.
                I am approaching this using the manual calculations and just submitting this info as what we will be going by. I'm just hoping to have something garnished at some point.
                You will have to go on motion to get it resolved if they push. The challenge you face is that someone who earns this kind of income can burn a lot of money on lawyers. If you do not have the resources to keep up they can bury you in nonsense quite quickly. (Similar to how many LAO certificate holders and their lawyers conduct themselves in many cases.)

I once heard a lawyer say to another lawyer in a court house that the party with the most money "wins"... And we wonder why Family Law is a nightmare.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! I think the figures look fine with me....what's the worst case?... that Im off a few bucks or 2? its not a big deal.
                  BUT that being said....my ex would bring this up in court as an issue. So im being careful and conservative in my numbers down to the cents (as u can see). It looks like nickel and dimes and makes me feel really ashamed... but this guy goes to court over $3.18 out of pocket for dental costs. Seriously.

I definitely know that the person with more money wins! This is the case, which is very disheartening. My ex is able to afford to keep it rolling in courts avoiding any update on the garnishment. Its definitely litigation abuse to try to get out of garnishment.

Basically each and every month I have to jump the hoops to see if he will be paying child support this month.
                  After many months of reminders I finally just gave up the nag and accepted the " Im such a busy important guy that I forgot to pay child support" ....and in a case conference, Judge reprimanded me that obviously child support wasn't important enough that I stopped emailing and calling for payments. He owed me $32,000 at that point and I had emails asking/begging/jumping through hoops. So we now have "our family wizard" which logs the messages of me asking for child support and provides and expense account for my out of pocket and missing child support and even has a calendar for missed visits (which he has deducted out of child support).
                  So the number I'm trying to make is for the wizard expense report that this is not being paid or short changed ...and that its being tracked.
                  I have hopes that one day ...some day when my son needs help with university...it will come in handy for him to be able to use.

Some parents do anything for their kids and some people just don't a thing.

Sorry for the long winded tale of woe!

Comment

He deducts missed visits out of cs? Thats allowed in QC?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      He deducts missed visits out of cs? Thats allowed in QC?
                      He gets his travel deducted from child support so that he can afford to visit his kid. He is Quebec and I am in Winnipeg. He chose to move. I have agreed to it so that my son could enjoy visits, even though I am very aware that he has travel costs paid for by his company into Winnipeg for business. (its also part of his contract as they have a location in Winnipeg so its a "business trip" and also gets frequent flier points from his company that also pays his travels).

The deductions are basically deducted to visit his son, and thus lowers child support to assist in visitation...BUT he basically misses visits and has basically shows up whenever he decides its convenient to show up.
                      Basically, Its just something to lower the child support.

I don't think its normal practice anywhere except for exceptional people.
                      That's said in rude bitch voice

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X