View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 06:37 AM
iona6656 iona6656 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 863
iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pinkHouses View Post
Does the other party have a lawyer?
If so both lawyers will want to show up. If they don't show up then they wont know what is disclosed. They can always asked for the written report but that can be a lot of work.
Usually the disclosure happens and then the lawyers work out what will happen based on that disclosure.
yeah, no. I have not heard of a single case where the lawyers work out "what happens next" on the spot. Many assessors already have written reports ready to go, they'll hold them and allow the parties to discuss but many of them have them ready.

listen to rocksan- her advice is spot on. they will often tell you what the assessors current findings are; however, you may want to ask what they are recommending in the future. if they say "supervised access should continue"- the other side is going to want to know 'until when?' that case- you may want to ask what conditions does your ex need to fulfill. For example, in my case- the assessor said my ex shouldn't have unsupervised, and his lawyer asked "until when?"- and then the assessor said after he had more counselling and we should get reassessed. Well- that's a lot of time, and a lot of extra $$$ and frustration. My lawyer asked what she would recommend as a course of action- later, you can use that as a basis. In my case- the assessor said something like "6 more months and the his therapist should give written documentation that he has dealt with the situation, etc etc".

you don't need a lawyer- but you can ask to have a support person with you; this is esp. true in the case where there has been previous domestic violence. If you do have a support person- ask them to take notes if allowed. You're not allowed to record the meeting- will it be virtual, or in person?

If you're on your own-don't try to furiously write down everything the assessor is saying- note your questions as they come up- I wouldn't interrupt. Also key is to note and record their recommendations. Oh- and also note if their is any factual discrepancies. For example, if your ex has charges against him- if the assessor mischaracterizes those charges- ask them to clarify that. If they still get it wrong- you should ask for a correction on the file.
Reply With Quote