No announcement yet.

Changing Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can have your name changed before you are divorced.

Comment

Yes, you can. But you have to notify your spouse that you are changing it, it is a requirement, and they have to sign that they've been notified, which felt too much to me like asking for permission. I wanted to be divorced so that step was not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter View Post
        Yes, you can. But you have to notify your spouse that you are changing it, it is a requirement, and they have to sign that they've been notified, which felt too much to me like asking for permission.
        Wow! I did not do that.
        Why is that the case?

My ex changed her name right away without telling me at all. I do not blame her but I just thought it was up to her to decide --- not me, even if we were not divorced yet at the time. We still are not divorced. That was 3 years ago. All of her court papers are in her maiden name. Did she make a legal misstep?

Comment

Are you sure she legally changed her name -- or is she just using a new name informally?

The form you must fill out to do it legally specifically asks if you are married. If you are, you must complete an additional step which requires the signature of your spouse.

I would be surprised if she legally changed her name without your knowledge. The government should not have processed the form without that step.

Comment

Here is the form you must fill out to legally change your name
            http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/007-11155E~3/$File/11155E.pdf

There is a section you must fill out and send to your spouse if you are married by registered mail. Then the spouse must sign the form saying they have been notified

Comment

Unless you formally changed your name to the married name, going back to your maiden one is an easy no-brainier. In these cases, you only "assumed" you married name. The legal name was never changed. The way it was explained to me was if your birth certificate remained in the name you were born with, then it was never legally changed as a result of marriage.

I never asked or notified my ex when I went back to my maiden name. Going back to my maiden name felt AWESOME!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X