Arbitrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbitrator

What exactly does an arbitrator do as opposed to a lawyer?

Now that my sep agreement is completed do I go through the arbitrator now?

A seperation agreement is a contract...you signed in agreement with the terms and now you want to change them?

Comment

No just wondering what the role of the arbitrator is?

Comment

Originally posted by Bassix View Post
        No just wondering what the role of the arbitrator is?
        An arbitrator is an outside individual whom you and your ex would employ to make decisions in the event you had a dispute. They may be a lawyer or a judge, but will likely have some sort of arbitrator designation/training.

They are similar to a judge in capacity. You and your ex provide your sides of the story/issue to them, and they make a decision. Unless your agreement/order provides otherwise, an arbitrators decision is generally binding. You may be able to appeal their decision in court, but you are taking your chances that the decision is upheld and the ramifications if it is (ie. possibly having to pay the other sides legal fees).

An arbitrator is not a mediator. They are not there to negotiate a decision between you, although that may happen anyway. They are there to hear your reasoning on a specific issue and make a decision based on the terms of the arbitration agreement/your order etc.

Comment

Wow thanks for the info HammerDad. Just what I was looking for.

Comment

Look up and familiarize yourself with "binding arbitration" and "non-binding arbitration". Also check your provincial Rules of Court and see if there are any pertinent references in there for procedures.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X