View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 11:52 PM
logicalvelocity logicalvelocity is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity


welcome to the forum,

as you mentioned,

I have been in a relationship for just over 2 years and things have gone downhill and we are separating.
If your in Ontario, to be considered common-law spouses for support purposes , you have to cohabit continuously for a period of at least three years or live together and have a child together for less time.

She has 2 children that i have been supporting for the entire time but the house is in her name.
If this continues, and if you do separate, you may be faced with a claim of child support against you especially if you acted as a parent to these children.

The house is in her name, hence she's owns it. You might have some merit in an unjust enrichment claim if the relationship goes beyond three years, but I believe it would be a minimal claim. On the other hand, if the relationship continues, you may be faced with some claim against you for spousal and child support. Those are the pros and cons. It might be best to leave now rather than wait it out.