This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension Rollover Complicated?

It was agreed upon in court that I am to roll over $40,000 from my pension to my ex wife. It was supposed to be done in a timely manner but it is now almost 4 months later and there has been no transfer. My lawyer said he needs some details from my ex's lawyer before the transfer can take place.

I spoke to the pension department at my work and they explained what I have to on my end, so I am ready to do this. Both lawyers are busy, have been paid the majority of the money they wanted to make off of this divorce and now we have been put on the back burner.

Question is, is the pension rollover something that my ex and I should be able to handle on our own? It seems simple enough that I don't want to give my lawyer any more money to do it for me.

I really want to get this done because before I know it, my ex will drag me back into court seeking more money because the roll over wasn't completed soon enough.

Thank you

What details are needed? What details does the pension admins say you need? Any reason you can't get those details and provide them?

Comment

Question is, is the pension rollover something that my ex and I should be able to handle on our own?
      Call your HR people. Ask them for the necessary forms and what is needed. They will likely ask for your court order or separation agreement.

In most cases a pension roll over is a bit of administrative paper-pushing.

Comment

A late reply .... but my ex and I are doing the pension rollover now (his work pension). No lawyers required. I had to send them a photocopy of my birth cert., my SIN #, my address, and a copy of our Div. Order + attached sep. agreement (note: sep. agreement alone was not enough - had to be the Order.) ... Hope there are no hassles. It seemed straight forward anyway ....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X