Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severing the divorce from corollary issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severing the divorce from corollary issues...

Background:

Separated in 2015
    Still separated in 2017 (+2years now)
    No signed separation agreement (other side refuses) and has gone dark in responding with my last offer.
    Spouse has changed lawyers 3 times now.
    Served spouse divorce papers; first case conference recently has resolved equalization (eg: proceeds of home have now been distributed) and child support
    At CC, made counter-offer for SS; we've followed up with other side's lawyer but have heard nothing...has gone dark again.

Spouse is delaying because doesn't want divorce to happen.

Put in a motion to sever because I want to move on with my life, even though my spouse seems to not want to.

What can you tell me about the process of severing - meaning how long does it usually take if the motion is successful?

thanks

Your motion is a waste of time mostly. Unless you are getting married you don't need a divorce. I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on a motion specifically for this unless you have a wedding coming up.

Next time you are in court simply ask for the matter to be severed. Why bother spending the time and energy for a specific request. Not like it does anything... (Other than let you get married again.)

FYI: Any lawyer willing to do this nonsense is willing to bleed you of all your money too. I don't know any reputable lawyer that would recommend you make a specific motion to do this.
    Last edited by Tayken; 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I do want to get married again.

If not a motion to sever, what can I do to facilitate ending this limbo?

Comment

If not a motion to sever, what can I do to facilitate ending this limbo?
        Have a settlement conference then go to trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma32 View Post
          I do want to get married again.
          When? In the next 2-3 years? Next year?

You could also do it as a basket motion if the other party agrees to it. It can also be done at a conference if both parties agree.

Comment

Preferably within the next year, although at this rate I'm not sure that this is feasible.

If this was just about SS (the only thing left to resolve) amount, she would have come back with a counter-offer from the one we provided last time. Not only has she not, she has not even responded at all.

This tells me that it's not about money anymore, but about delaying the divorce and trying to screw around with my life (feel free to give me any of your takes on this).

After 2+ years separated and another 2+ years since she asked me for the divorce (?!?!), I am really at a point I want this resolved.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X