Sep Agreement Timeline & Part Time Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sep Agreement Timeline & Part Time Work

Partway through the Separation, my lawyer has prepared the 13.1 and her lawyer has been handed the working copy 13.1. This question is about p/t work and supp payments. With p/t job my pension and work earnings was 29K. Retired, not working from now on income is less than 23K which is shown on 13.1.

I'm retired(70 yrs old) but worked during the winter months. At the time of separation, July, I was not employed and for the financial statement considered unemployed from now on due to me planning to move to another city and away from my p/t job.. She is dragging her feet in completing 13.1 and it's possible I may still be here for the winter. If I were to take p/t employment this winter would this extra $6k p/t earnings mess up the support payments? Presently my CPP and OAS come to $23K and support could be $400. If I were to work the yearly income will increase $6 k to 30k. Would it be better not to seek p/t work from a supp payment amount point of view. I'd ask my lawyer but every time I sneeze It's $100.

These are very low incomes. Do you qualify for legal aid?

Can you afford not to work over the winter?

This is my feeling, not based upon case law at all: Generally, 70 year olds are allowed to not work. I feel you could work this winter and then decide next winter that you are too old to work. Make sure your agreement allows spousal support to be changed on a yearly basis depending on how much you actually earn.

How many years of spousal are you looking at?

Comment

Been married 38 years. My winter p/t job was plowing snow and that income was enough for the little extras around the house. We live fairly cheaply, no mortgage, no bills and I do all my repairs. She has her CPP and OAS = $1K/month. My CPP and OAS is under $2K/month. The thing that gets me is needing to pay (unknown amount)support. If I work that will inflate my income and elevate me to the next support payment level. I feel it may not be worth it to work because every change in earning report means another visit with the lawyer.

Comment

actually... you won't like my opinion (but that is all it is)

... boo hoo

You net more than she does a month and you were married 38 years. You will pay support for the rest of your life quite likely.

Stay home, watch TV (if you can afford to) and enjoy the fact that should you work, you would most definitely have to share some of this newfound wealth with your ex.

If your ex had made more than you throughout the marriage she would be paying you support

Hey... it's a man's world. Enjoy your retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          You net more than she does a month and you were married 38 years.
          What I don't get is that if they are just getting divorced, then his income should be coming from his assets, and those assets should have been equally split during equalization. Why would he have a higher income than his ex?

I would assume that people who divorce after retirement would generally not be paying support.

Blatant sexism, cute.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            actually... you won't like my opinion (but that is all it is)

... boo hoo

You net more than she does a month and you were married 38 years. You will pay support for the rest of your life quite likely.

Stay home, watch TV (if you can afford to) and enjoy the fact that should you work, you would most definitely have to share some of this newfound wealth with your ex.

If your ex had made more than you throughout the marriage she would be paying you support

Meh... I disagree... if he’s only bringing in $25-30k a year support is probably very unlikely given the incomes. He’s not a high income earner, doesn’t seem like they lived a high end lifestyle, or I would expect his income would be more than $30k a year. Assets would have been split as part of the divorce so the ex would have those to live off as well. Just because they have been together 38 years doesn’t make SS automatic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My lawyer stated SS would be in the range of $350 to $450 according to his calculation based on my $23K. If my earnings jump to 31K SS ranges from the mid 500's to 700's.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X