This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Responsibility Office

As many readers here know by now that I am asssiting my spouse in his battle against the FRO. I would like to post this poll to gain your opinions into thier practices.

Our lawyer and us have had many lengthy discussions about the validity of many of FRO's case load. Originally we speculated that some 60% of cases are mishandled/fraudulant in some manner. Our lawyer estimates that it is more likely around 80%. I would like to here what you each think on your individual case.

Please feel free to add your comments too.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Undecided
    0%
    Treated fairly
    0%

The poll is expired.

I am undecided at the moment, but starting to lean towards 'Yes'. My reasoning is because they have allowed the employer far too much leeway and the payments are constantly in arrears. In fact, they do not enforce the things they claim are a must such as the employer or payor having 10 days to notify of a change in employment, and they had no idea my ex was not working at the location on file anymore until I informed them yesterday. The '10 day requirement' had already passed.
    Also, I get too much conflicting information from my own case when I call, each time it seems that someone tells me a bit more of one thing, but less of something else - it's as though I'm interrupting their naptime to ask for an update to my case and I have even had an agent tell me in regards to the case being updated that (and I quote) "Head office will update it when they get around to it".
    Brilliant government body - they need to change it's name.

Comment

First I am on your side in this one , but why I say that as I am a certified payroll administrator. I had fun with FRO last year as it took me seven months of argueing with them just to get them to adjust a court order changing my support. I went as far as calling my MP. I was taught etc the importance of honouring the garnishees. The Mp told me thatas far as she knew there has never been an employer that has been charged. Why the law then... guess they cave at the last minute.

FRO are really experts at telling tales and misleading all concerned. Once we are done with them along with changing thier name there will be a major overhaul. With my spouses case, There is going to be a major lawsuit coming forth very soon and a judicial review. On March 6th he is back in court to discuss the matter of them faulsifying documents.

Comment

I am currently undecided. However, once we get a reduction in child support, we'll see how FRO settles the fact that we've overpaid the last 4 months. I'll vote again then! ;-)

Comment

After reading the stories on this board, I have added a clause to our settlement agreement which says that we will specifically exclude FRO from the enforcement of our order, unless I become delinquent in my payments.

I can pay my support. I don't need FRO involved. That's motivation enough to pay in full and on time lol

Comment

Originally posted by About_Time View Post
            After reading the stories on this board, I have added a clause to our settlement agreement which says that we will specifically exclude FRO from the enforcement of our order, unless I become delinquent in my payments.

I can pay my support. I don't need FRO involved. That's motivation enough to pay in full and on time lol
            Wow, you can do that? I wish I had known this when we first went to court many years ago. I doubt there's any way to insert that clause now. Heck, even if we tried, I strongly doubt my stepson's bio-mom would agree. And I doubt the judge would grant such a one-sided request, especially as they are the ones that push FRO on the payors.

Comment

Many such "conditions" are written into agreements. Especially now that it is coming to light about FRO. (we are not the only ones who have disputes) The Judges and couples are and should seek alternative means. FRO must be sent the orders in the first place...so if this can be interupted. As long as you have an order final or interm it can and often does get registered with FRO at another time. The key in FL and all of this is that the parties have to uplhold these agreements and orders. Easier said than done some days I realise but what about the consequences if you don't. they are out there.

Comment

FYI- if calling the FRO to get a Statment of Account showing that there are no arrears for 2008. There is a $25.00 processing fee if you have previously requested this in earlier years

Comment

I have a nice experiece with FRO.Though after they receive the court orders it takes them almost 6-8weeks to enforce the payments.But after that they never bguged me.By 3rd of every month i get my payment

Comment

I was fortunate the the Ex was amendable to exempting us from FRO. I think ultimately she prefers having me just email transfer the money to her each month and knows I'll pay in full and on time. You need to file a form with the court though - signed by both parties - and then have it forwarded to FRO.

Or in my case, forwarded three times until they finally got it figured out. Oy.

Comment

That is the thing about FRO they are clueless. Hard to get reasonable answers out of them.
                      They called us out of the blue about a year ago and said he could not get any credit to his arrears until his youngest turns 18, reasonable enough. But no one bothered to look before they made that call..... she turned 24 a few weeks after that call.

Comment

I'm not involved with the FRO as I'm in NB where we have its equivalent, the FSOS (Family Support Order Service). Recently the laws changed to make them be more aggressive about chasing non compliant exes. Their attitude is, as long as you are getting your monthly support, be happy.

That's fine, and I am grateful for what I get, BUT I still have to pay off my line of credit (money that I lived on), while nothing is being done about his $17K in arrears. I'll never see it. And yes, I AM employed at age 62.

Comment

Hi Yearsgone,

It is really a catch 22 with agencies like FRO and others. I sure that there are many here that feel as we do, there never is any debate as to the children being entitled, Where Our personal issues are in the administration of those rights. My sentiments are equal I have heard many many stories of things gone wrong on both sides. It is really tough all around and I feel if they were better managed there would be alot less of the stories that I hear.

I feel of FRO in Ontario at least has very little conscience less accountability for thier actions. I think it terrible that they can take the attitude of we dont give a bleep if you die.......... sad but true we have been told that.

Just on a bit of a humourous side I have a nickname for them...
                          The Family Irresponsibility Office

Comment

For many years I was too pay child support the arrears were 20,000 but I knew that something was wrong so I didn't pay. After almost 10 years I finally got the break I needed I found out the mother didn't have custody of the child since the baby was 18 mths old but she didn't tell anyone, when I got the court papers from the trial of her losing the child I contacted the FRO and told them about it. It took them like 6 mths to finally clear me. I asked if this was fraud and if she should pay back the money I had paid to her they told me that it was between me and her. So all in all the FRO are not fair. All they care about is the money.

Comment

In your situation what they told you was true. there is a clause in Family law that states one would have to sue the recipiant to gain overpayments etc. this is also based on the premis that the situation was just brought to light. In my spouses case they were supplied with numerous opportunies and fact with which to respond to and they never said a word except their typical so what attitde. Where our thoughts are and how we want change is that Just like any other agency or individual they need to be held accountable for ther actions. In this case they just went off on a "tangent" and chose to ignore the evidence in front of them. In my mind it makes them liable therefore we hope will over turn the clause that one has to sue the recipiant. Honestly if FRO is determined that they have messed like anyone else they are responsible. Not too many in the past have challenged FRO and well I guess we will be amoung the first. According to our lawyer there are many who are getting fed up and are starting to challenge them. I think it is about time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X