This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult children's rights

Does anyone know where I can find info about the rights of adult children still living at home.
    The father of two adult children in their 20's has threatened to boot them out of the family home whenever they refuse to be used by him to threaten or lay a guilt trip on their mother for leaving a controlling and abusive relationship.
    Both children support their mother's decision but remain with their father because their mother moved to a much smaller community several hundred miles away, to start a new life with someone else. Both children have part-time jobs where they live and have just been accepted at post-secondary institutions. Both are responsible, respectful, considerate young adults and have never been a cause for concern to warrent being forced to leave their family home. They readily help maintain the family home, doing laundry, making meals, doing dishes, vacuuming, etc, etc.
    Also, while they support their mother's decision, they have avoided being critical of their father. The only anger they show towards him is whenever he trashes their mother.

THey have the right to move out. If the adult children do not like his rules, they can leave. He can ask them to leave if he owns the home or is the renter.

By staying with an abusive and controlling father they are not supporting their mother. Even if they stick up with her. when he says things to them to demean her, he is attempting to bring them to his side. By staying they are accepting his abuse.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I have to question why they would stay with an abusive father.

Comment

The have no rights to stay there. At 16 they can choose to live somewhere else...at 18 they can be evicted.

If this is a common threat I would suggest they look at finding an apartment with each other or some friends. If they are students they should qualify for government student loans which would include a livign allowance.

When you split it a couple ways, renting a small home or apartment it only works out to a small sum each per month.

Comment

they have the right to move out. No one can force the father to let them stay considering they are adults.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X