I'm not sure what else to do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure what else to do....

I could really use some input here. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Some quick/history. Separated back in 2011 after being threatened physically from diagnosed mentally ill ex-wife. Years of verbal abuse and garbage. I was done. She turned around - ran to a shelter, couldn't find kids. Settled for joint/shared custody (big mistake) and we each have the kids one week at a time.

Since that time (almost 3 years) never followed the agreement. Used all kinds of government agencies, child protection agencies and police against me without success.

Tried to suggest mediation but she simply won't despite it being a clause in our agreement. I can't keep doing this with her. She's grilling the kids for info constantly. Her paranoia is worse than ever and again, not following the agreement at all. I've all but refused to communicate at all and use third parties and websites like myfamilywizard.com to monitor our conversations. She refuses.

How do I proceed? Where do I go from here? This is just not sustainable to parent these kids...any suggestions are welcomed!

What EXACTLY is the problem you want to solve.

She will grill the kids and there is nothing you can really do, the best is to get her to admit she is doing it and then in a future hearing use it as proof and the judge will tell her "stop doing it" but she'll keep doing it but he might like her less.

Since seems to be TRYING to use these agencies against you but failing it means ur doing fine.

What do you want to mediate? YOu have an agreement....

If you believe she is officially crazy (good luck!) then get psychosocial evaluation and ask for sole custody. Most likely she is just slightly crazy and you'll have wasted your money for nothing....

You can't fix crazy and you can't really protect your kids from her either unless its "clear and present danger" or REALLY well documented, proven and consistent harm,

Comment

I'm trying to basically do the following:

1.) Have it turned over to sole custody so I can look after the care of the children/etc and provide her with liberal access to the kids so there is consistency. They need to see their Mom and despite how horrible she might be, I would never, ever impede that.

2.) Enforce and ensure the order/sep agreement is being followed

3.) Limit communication to a forum such as my family wizard or one of those types of communications that is monitored as she cannot handle phone/text/email/etc.

4.) An Eval would be nice. It don't quite get your comment - it's documented but she's refused to go through with the full eval as she's afraid of the outcome. I truthfully would love for it to happen so that she can get healthy and be well for the kids!

I'm unphased by grilling the kids. It's lame, childish and dumb. I just hate what it does to the kids. Makes them feel pressured.

Comment

Focus on 1 - you are basically going to have convince the mother she is now unfit.

You'll have to answer questions like:
        -If she was unfit why did you consent at the start
        -Give LOTS and LOTS of examples of her unfitness - Like 10 major instances etc...

Maybe you need to speak to OCL/CAS in Ontario - its a big hill good luck.

Comment

It may be a hill but it's worth the climb. CAS has been involved before when she called them on me and they turned on her. I've been told twice that they have "wanted" to intervene but did not have "enough" at that time. I will be requesting the OCL this time around. I've had a lawyer friend review this for free and they feel I have enough to pursue this and likely with success so we'll see. I just know it can't keep going like this.

Comment

You have an agreement already and you have custody of the kids.

Exactly what orders would you ask for from a judge and to what end?

First of all you should understand that you would probably have to demonstrate a significant material change in circumstance has occurred for a judge to re-open anything or change the status quo. Unfortunately being sick and tired and frustrated of dealing with a crazy ex doesn't qualify.

Due to their oodles of previous involvement and no findings I don't think you're going to any traction with those same agencies against your ex.

I think you need a better support system, perhaps some therapy, to deal with your emotions in handling your ex. It's very hard to let go, disengage, and get some mental and emotional distance from exes who are HC... but it's a skill that can be learned and practiced and you will learn to ignore/compartmentalize most of it with practice and support.

Sorry you are having a rough time, but I don't think engaging the legal system will defuse or help anything. Likely the opposite. You'll go in asking for Sole, and her lawyer will tell her to do the same. Then you will be in OCL, custody evaluations, a 2 year trial, and probably end up with the same result you have now.

Comment

While I appreciate your assessment, you have to understand that I have laid out practically no information as to what has taken place. I've also had lawyers that are un-involved with the case and not looking to get retained encourage me to pursue this.

You can't have joint custody with someone who won't let you travel with them, makes major medical decisions for your kids without informing you and refuses to be reasonable and continues to lack the ability to communicate regarding the simplest of issues including pick up/drop off for PA Days.

While I hear what you are saying, I've played peacemaker and ignored a lot for 4 years. It simply won't work going forward....

Comment

Originally posted by vocalfather View Post
                While I appreciate your assessment, you have to understand that I have laid out practically no information as to what has taken place. I've also had lawyers that are un-involved with the case and not looking to get retained encourage me to pursue this.

You can't have joint custody with someone who won't let you travel with them, makes major medical decisions for your kids without informing you and refuses to be reasonable and continues to lack the ability to communicate regarding the simplest of issues including pick up/drop off for PA Days.

While I hear what you are saying, I've played peacemaker and ignored a lot for 4 years. It simply won't work going forward....
                So what are you looking for from us?

If you are just venting that's fine, just let us know.

Comment

I'm trying to basically do the following:

1.) Have it turned over to sole custody so I can look after the care of the children/etc and provide her with liberal access to the kids so there is consistency. They need to see their Mom and despite how horrible she might be, I would never, ever impede that.

2.) Enforce and ensure the order/sep agreement is being followed

3.) Limit communication to a forum such as my family wizard or one of those types of communications that is monitored as she cannot handle phone/text/email/etc.

4.) An Eval would be nice. It don't quite get your comment - it's documented but she's refused to go through with the full eval as she's afraid of the outcome. I truthfully would love for it to happen so that she can get healthy and be well for the kids!

I'm unphased by grilling the kids. It's lame, childish and dumb. I just hate what it does to the kids. Makes them feel pressured.
                  You want to change from an access schedule to "liberal" access. You would have to prove to the court why that is a good thing.

YOU can manage communications. STOP responding to her voice calls etc. When she calls to rant, inform her clearly and consistently that unless it is an emergnecy, please use email and communicate only on matters regarding the children.

I'm not convinved you are unphased by the grilling the kids, it clearly gets a reaction out of you. Learn to let go. Focus on your relationship with the kids.

As for an evaluation, what are you hoping to prove. There are plenty of people who are mentally ill who are allowed to have custody of their kids, or at a minimum generous access. What you would have to prove is that she is making parenting decisions that harm the children or put them at risk.

I had this discussion with my lawyer, who was a straight shooter.
                  Mental illness is a wide spectrum of illnesses and conditions. Unless she volunteers to undergo an assessment, it could cost your tens of thousands to try to force an evaluation, and there is no guarentee a) that a judge would grant your motion, or b) that you would get the decisive diagnosis you want and c) that a judge would rule in your favour based on a diagnosis.

As fighting for family has suggested, I haven't seen you demonstrate a material change in circumstances that would get a judge to review these things.

Comment

I'd like to see this agreement followed! More than anything, I would like it to change from one week on to one week off to something more stable for the kids. I can assure you, grilling the kids is not the issue. The kids being late to school over 40 times this year by 3+ hours, being denied travel for no reason, various accusations against myself through police/CAS/etc by her, poor living conditions for my kids and no secrecy when it comes to medical issues related to our kids. Communication is so poor that I cannot even confirm a pick up or drop off time for my kids. I've played peacemaker. I've done everything. Setup counselling for kids? Denied. Setup extra-curricular for the kids? She won't allow them to attend and they are kicked out. Your telling me a judge is going to say that is in the best interest of the kids? A woman who made an agreement that requires her to mediate and then chooses repeatedly not to is ok?

I hear everything that you guys are saying and I'm not looking for everyone's opinion. I'm looking for what my next steps might look like. That's all. I appreciate there is certain perspectives/etc out there but to document everything that has gone on here is not possible nor would it be safe in case my ex was to troll this board. It would be very clear who I'm speaking about.

Comment

I'd like to see this agreement followed! More than anything, I would like it to change from one week on to one week off to something more stable for the kids. I can assure you, grilling the kids is not the issue. The kids being late to school over 40 times this year by 3+ hours, being denied travel for no reason, various accusations against myself through police/CAS/etc by her, poor living conditions for my kids and no secrecy when it comes to medical issues related to our kids. Communication is so poor that I cannot even confirm a pick up or drop off time for my kids. I've played peacemaker. I've done everything. Setup counselling for kids? Denied. Setup extra-curricular for the kids? She won't allow them to attend and they are kicked out. Your telling me a judge is going to say that is in the best interest of the kids? A woman who made an agreement that requires her to mediate and then chooses repeatedly not to is ok?

I hear everything that you guys are saying and I'm not looking for everyone's opinion. I'm looking for what my next steps might look like. That's all. I appreciate there is certain perspectives/etc out there but to document everything that has gone on here is not possible nor would it be safe in case my ex was to troll this board. It would be very clear who I'm speaking about.

Your case has many similar parallels to mine but you are very lucky you already have 50% 'joint'.

This is what I would do in your shoes:

Step1: Ensure you have everything you claim WELL documented and qualifiable. Get as many afidavits as you can corroborating your facts. And produce a 'factum' brief based on what you can present as facts only.

Step2: Bring her to a Motion, NOT to request Sole but to seek some form of relief by way of orders and costs. You want a restraining order on at least two of your most pressing matters.

Sooner or later she will breach those orders. Ensure you do everything in your powers to properly document the breach.

On return to court for contempt or breach, you still dont ask for Sole. You ask for another restraining with more conditions attatched and again costs...

If it doea not sink in her head that you mean business and she does not change her conduct she will likelg breach the ordera again... you bring her back to another motion but only after warning her in writing multiples times.

When she fails to heed your warnings, bring her back to another motion for qualified breach only this time you go for the jugular and seek all you want WITHOUT asking to cut her access or requesting 'supervised'... you can only diminish her access if you can prove harm to the kids but having Sole you will be able to make most if not all the major decisions.

Im not a lawyer and this is not legal advise... if I was in your position and had lots of funds thats what I would do.

Good luck

Comment

You can't control her behaviour, but you can control how you react to it. It's not about being a peacemaker, it's about ignoring your ex, not communicating with them except in emergencies, and living your life rather than worrying about their lives.

You have to accept that there are a lot of restrictions and limitations on most divorced parents due to the "other parent". You have to ACCEPT this because it's a consequence of the decisions that got you here. Can't get travel letters? It sucks, but neither can we. We just do local travel or visit another province. Being late for school on the other parents time is their responsibility, you can't do anything about it. You can only ensure you are on time when they are with you. Whatever garbage allegations they are hurling aren't sticking... eventually they will get it and lose interest.

If you have joint custody you don't need the other parent's permission for things such as counselling or extra curriculars. You can't force the other parent to participate but you can still attend with the children on your time, at your expense.

Seriously, you need to learn to let go, accept the situation for what it is, and do the best you can. It will be far from perfect but in the end the kids are smart enough to know who is being the better parent and they will thank you for it some day.

From what I can tell, the best you could hope for is a contempt motion against the mother for some issues. However this is a very difficult motion to pull off. If you succeed, the consequences are minor. Usually costs, maybe a small fine, and a finger waggling by the judge. It's certainly no guarantee that it will make her easier to work with. Usually the opposite.

As another poster suggested, it's very valid if you simply want to rant and let off some steam. I just don't think anything in the courtroom is going to bring you the peace you want.

Comment

Great advice. I am going to share this with my daughter. You have hit the nail on so many issues. Thankyou

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X