This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Orders

I was wondering how court orders work. We were supposed to go to court August 5th but my ex and his lawyer agreed to sign a court order instead. The court order was an agreement for full financial disclosure, child support, freeze on a business, payment of 1/2 of college and an agreement to go to trial. That was signed over 2 weeks ago and nothing has come of it. How can somebody disobey a court order and what are the ramifications for doing so? This is just another stall tactic on my ex's part and it's costing me alot of money. I just want to get this done, it's been over 4 years.
    Thanks in advance

I think I would get the ball rolling by scheduling a Settlement Conference and attach the consent order to my SC brief. I would also address any outstanding issues.

Comment

I just received a package through purolator with all of the undertakings requested although there are still a few things missing.
      I was hoping to avoid a settlement conference as I know he won't agree to settle with me unless it goes "his way". I just want a trial date; I would be happy with whatever a judge decides.
      Thanks for your input.

Comment

Right - but it takes more than a consent order for trial. The court itself will have to endorse beyond consent. To obtain - you're pretty much confined to case management starting with an SC.

Comment

You are right; I just found that out. Hopefully we can get a SC date soon.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

Trials are the last resort. The courts try to force parties to try all other avenues before they will permit a trial to go forward.

Comment

My ex has been uncooperative all the way along and there is no way that he is going to settle fairly with me so my lawyer is going to present that to the judge. Hopefully we can get a trial date; I will know October 1st.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X