President Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Trump

I find the results of the election to be incredibly disheartening. My daughter and I were really excited about a woman becoming president... and not just any women, but the most capable candidate for president in my entire lifetime. I truly think that Clinton would have changed the world for the better.

Trump winning sends a lesson that is the exact opposite of everything I have tried to teach my children. They often asked me why anybody would vote for Trump, and I told them that there were angry people in the States who would lash out by voting for Trump, but that most people were good people.

I find it hard to believe that Americans are not actually good people, but the results speak for themselves. I strongly disagreed with Harper's policies, but I understood why people would vote for him. This though... this I don't understand.

Originally posted by Janus View Post
    I find the results of the election to be incredibly disheartening. My daughter and I were really excited about a woman becoming president... and not just any women, but the most capable candidate for president in my entire lifetime. I truly think that Clinton would have changed the world for the better.

Trump winning sends a lesson that is the exact opposite of everything I have tried to teach my children. They often asked me why anybody would vote for Trump, and I told them that there were angry people in the States who would lash out by voting for Trump, but that most people were good people.

I find it hard to believe that Americans are not actually good people, but the results speak for themselves. I strongly disagreed with Harper's policies, but I understood why people would vote for him. This though... this I don't understand.
    Agree.

The problem with the US is that they're addicted to drama, shock and awe. "Jersey Shore", Kardashian's", "Jerry Springer", etc. The Donald is "all" shock and awe so I'm not too surprised. They didn't want a president this year, they wanted a circus monkey to laugh at. And that's what they got.

I still feel like it's a bad dream or some kind of practical joke.

Comment

I truly think that Clinton would have changed the world for the better.
      Many Americans (a majority, apparently) don't care if the world is better. They just want their own personal tiny piece of it to be better, even if it comes at the expense of others. Trump promised that, and they didn't have the sense to realize that these promises are impossible to pull off.

I worry about what kind of global damage he can do in four years.

Comment

I think as Canadians we are also in major trouble because of this. What happens there has drastic effects on us.

I am saddened that evil prevailed. Everything we teach our children not to do, won.I am saddened that the US is that divided... there are some very devastated people over there right now, many who are probably facing major negativity today. Even though Justin congratulated Trump, I think he knows we are in trouble, which is why he was reaching out.

It's a sad day for man kind.

Comment

lol@Americans
          Happy Clinton Lost
          Sad Trump Won

DNC got punished for their corrupt practices - If anybody could have lost to trump it was clinton. Sanders would have eaten him for lunch

What do they have in common?
          Trudeau
          Obama
          Trump

They were all the more anti-establishment candidate.

Comment

They often asked me why anybody would vote for Trump, and I told them that there were angry people in the States who would lash out by voting for Trump, but that most people were good people.
            They are still good people. They just don't share the all the same values as Canadians. Clearly that was demonstrated in the election results. They simply value other things and place more value on those things.

Canadians often fall prey to the belief that we share similar values. We share similar values with certain states that are often all we see. (New York and California) We often identify with the actors we see on TV who share similar values to us. Unfortunately, they are not the majority in the US.

What needs to happen is those values we Canadians identify with need to spread out from the two coasts inwards. The problem is that with poverty eating at the middle those values are often lower on the hierarchy of needs.

You shouldn't be shocked that the US is different. We are two vastly different countries. We mostly only share a boarder. We don't share currency, we don't share values, etc...

I find it hard to believe that Americans are not actually good people, but the results speak for themselves.
            They are good people. They are not evil. They simply value different things than Canadians. That is why we are not a state. (Thankfully)

I strongly disagreed with Harper's policies, but I understood why people would vote for him. This though... this I don't understand.
            I don't think it is something you could truly understand because you don't share the same values. You value different things. I like to think that the majority of Canadians share the same values. Clearly, the US is divided on many things.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. What transpired in the United States reflects upon the United States. It doesn't mean that Canada is the same. We may be neighbours but, we don't have to be the same thankfully.

Canada has its own identity thankfully. We may have closely knit economies but, our system of government, our values and how we present ourselves to the world is vastly different. This is not to say we are "better". We are different. Being different is good.

Cheers,
            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
              I think as Canadians we are also in major trouble because of this. What happens there has drastic effects on us.
              Doubtful. It will screw up the adgenda on pollution control and climate change probably. But, it will be good for the pipe lines and other items. Generally, Canada does much better economically when a Republican is in office.

I am saddened that evil prevailed.
              Trump is not "evil". He may be many things but, he is not evil. Evil is a word left best to describe despots and Hitler.

Everything we teach our children not to do, won.
              Key point: In the United States. Again, we are not the same country. We have a different flag.

"No flag, no country!" - Eddy Izzard

I am saddened that the US is that divided... there are some very devastated people over there right now, many who are probably facing major negativity today.
              But, I have confidence that in unity they will stand. They always have and sing that every morning. This morning was no different than any other really.

Even though Justin congratulated Trump, I think he knows we are in trouble, which is why he was reaching out.
              I disagreed with Justin's statement:
              “The relationship between Canada and the United States is based on shared values and shared hopes and dreams and we will always work well together,”

I do not agree that we share values, hopes and dreams. We work together for economic gain to achieve our own values, hopes and dreams. To lump us as being so similar to the US is wrong in my humble opinion. We will work together for economic gains but, beyond that we are our own country with our own values, dreams and hopes.

It's a sad day for man kind.
              No it isn't. It is another day. One we may not like but, the sky is not falling.

Cheers,
              Tayken

Comment

I think people are misled by mainstream media and this has been a perfect example.

Both candidates and their respective talking heads were frequently misquoted throughout campaign.

Will be interesting to observe outcome and behavior of both democrats and conservatives. Plenty of fear-mongering on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  I think people are misled by mainstream media and this has been a perfect example.
                  This is an example of the media not reflect the reality of the situation. This has been an ongoing problem in the US for a while. The media reflects their view of things... Not the actual view of things. Too many "interpretive" journalists and not enough news reporting. Opinion news is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                    This is an example of the media not reflect the reality of the situation. This has been an ongoing problem in the US for a while. The media reflects their view of things... Not the actual view of things. Too many "interpretive" journalists and not enough news reporting. Opinion news is a problem.
                    I totally agree with you. I find it entertaining to watch the various news outlets immediately after an "occurrence". I used to think BBC was good news but I'm not so sure of those guys anymore.

The last coverage on the election was more like watching The National Inquirer. The reporters were not "reporters" whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      I totally agree with you. I find it entertaining to watch the various news outlets immediately after an "occurrence". I used to think BBC was good news but I'm not so sure of those guys anymore.
                      You have to read multiple sources now. It just takes too much time to deal with these days. No source is truly a good source. There are no "raw" news sources left. They all have some crappy slant.

Comment

Trump trumped Clinton. It was as if they were in a child custody battle at times. I'm happy the father won. Mom lied a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The US wanted change. Just look at Trump and Sanders. And enough of them didn't care if the agent of change was spouting nonsense. Clinton is establishment. Electing her wouldn't have changed anything.

Similar to Brexit, the establishment has been ignoring a large portion of their own population and it has come back to bite them. I see similarities in this to the pushback to the TPP and CETA.

When change happens, such as industries moving to China or Mexico, NAFTA, and other trade deals there are always winners and losers. A good government would help the losers adapt but they seem more interested in helping their friends and faithful. Now people are fed up.

In a democracy, everyone gets to vote, even if they don't agree with you. Some people who spout on about diversity are only interested in the diversity they believe in. The tendency of some people to bash whoever voted for Trump is exactly the reason he won.

Comment

...as opposed to lying about financials, she lied about her email handling. To add insult to the whole thing for her, Trump won Arkansas where her husband was once Gov and slept with loads of women

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                            Trump trumped Clinton. It was as if they were in a child custody battle at times. I'm happy the father won. Mom lied a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

.....and how is this different here in Canada? President Trump (PT) is echoing what most political / powerful types are scared to utter both in the US and Canada, and his actions and now results might just change things this side of the border when the next election comes around.

There is already a female version of Trump here now

Trump’s win an ‘exciting message’ that’s needed in Canada, Kellie Leitch says

The Tory leadership candidate’s campaign has proposed screening immigrants for as-yet undefined Canadian values, while criticizing her fellow candidates.

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                              Many Americans (a majority, apparently) don't care if the world is better. They just want their own personal tiny piece of it to be better, even if it comes at the expense of others. Trump promised that, and they didn't have the sense to realize that these promises are impossible to pull off.

I worry about what kind of global damage he can do in four years.
                              https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...itch-says.html

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X