View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 AM
arabian's Avatar
arabian arabian is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,163
arabian will become famous soon enough

Re-read the post from Mess from March 14th:

"...Equalization means you take her assets at the date of separation, and your assets at the date of separation, subtract each of your debt. You split the difference.
There is no law that says you must split your pension IF YOU DON'T OWE HER ANY EQUALIZATION.
From the sounds of things, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, you don't know what you are doing. You need some professional advice, which will cost you. You have to decide if you want to spend some money getting this straightened out, and how much.
There is a half of your pension she can get, it is the CPP. She can "equalize" both of your CPP. This is the only law that absolutely requires a split in pension.
If your company pension is your largest asset and you owe her money, then most people would opt to split the pension and there is a method for doing this. But if you don't otherwise owe her money, she cannot just take your pension.
Does she have entitlement to spousal support? Does she work? These are issues that may come up."

I believe you can go to your bank and take your name off of the bank account and the credit cards. Talk to your banker.

There is plenty of information on this forum regarding your situation. You have to research things.
Reply With Quote