This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification...

I just recieved this note from my Lawyer and for the life of me have no clue what it actually says...

"The motion has been adjourned and I am putting together Minutes that will hopefully meet your requests and get the matter settled.It is interesting that Your EX now realizes that the property issue is not ended by her bankruptcy."

What does the motion has been adjourned mean?

What is putting together the minutes mean?

Thanks

Duped

Hi Duped,

When a court date has been adjourned, that means that it is no longer going ahead. Adjourning a motion means cancelling the upcoming scheduled date, but leaving the possibility of bringing the motion back to court if necessary.

Minutes of settlement are drafted when a party has accepted the other party's offer to settle. The offer to settle will include the basics of what is agreed upon, and the minutes of settlement is just a meatier version of the accepted offer to settle. It's much like a separation agreement.

Assuming the minutes are drafted and everyone signs, the minutes will be submitted to the court to show that all matters have been settled. At that point, the court will discontinue your proceeding.

I hope this helps.

Lindsay

Comment

duped,

It appears that they just realized that they won't have success in their motion.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X