This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support

I have two children , one that I have brought up but is not my child and have fully supported as is now in post secondary education in a 2 year course. I have one child with my common law wife who is in her teens.

My question is regarding spousal support. I have read the term voluntary employment. My common law is employed but in a very minimal position that is a few hours a day, this is by choice and not a necessity that she not work 8 hours a day like anyone else. She has taken upgrade courses provided by the government and not used these skills , again her own choice. She remains at home during the majority of the day as there are no children to look after as they are in school.

She now says she is entitled to spousal support from me. Does anyone know if this is the case if she is voluntarily under employed. She has no health issues, is 10 years younger than i , and no reason for her employment status. She has the skills to be gainfully employed full time but is choosing not to be.

She has an expectation of self sufficiency and a right to maintain current lifestyle.
    The system will judge the first part and expect you to pay for the later.
    A lawyer is always the first step.

Comment

How long were you with this person? The time spent together also will play a role in how much and how long SA will be paid.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X