View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 01:55 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
And what a collosal waste of money! My ex would file extremely lengthy briefs. My lawyer said she had to do her diligence as a lawyer and read the whole thing. And then I had to respond to her brief. HUGE waste of money. Then you sit in the courtroom for hours with your lawyer to finally get called up and get passed through like cattle. The settlement briefs that you spent thousands on get handed to you for shredding.

Judge: "I have read your briefs and I think you 2 can work things out. See you in 6 months for the next settlement conference".

That's it? I used to have the date circled on my calendar thinking it was a date that would help lead to the end of the tunnel. Boy was I wrong! I would walk out of those settlement conferences saying "what the heck was that?? It resolved nothing and we are nowhere closer to finalizing this"

If I could do it again, I would do it as follows:
  • 1 case conference (mandatory) self-repped
  • 1 settlement conference (mandatory) self-repped
  • Motion to set things in place on temporary basis leading up to trial- with lawyer
  • Set trial for as soon as possible. Negotiate (self-repped) and likely settle on the day of trial (with lawyer)

When my husbands lawyer found out his ex was self repped he rubbed his head and sighed. Said it was going to be difficult to reach an agreement and it was. Even with a judge and DRO telling the ex she was wrong they still had to do the conferences. Thankfully her lawyer she was using on a limited scope was able to talk some sense into her before the SC and they reached an agreement.

I would be interested to see some data on number of cases resolved before a second conference and those that went all the way.