No announcement yet.

How graduated is graduated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your plan realistic with your work responsibilities?
    I have you ever actually tried to parent a 2 and 4 year old while you were working? I took a few courses on line when my children were little. It is impossible. If you are getting work done, then that means you are not actually parenting your children, they are amusing themselves in play, and at 2 and 4 expect that to last about 10 minutes before you are interrupted. Or they are stuck in front of a screen. If you are parenting your children, you aren't actually getting any work done. It is one thing to need to do this on a rare occasion, like your child is sick at home, or if your kids are considerably older, but to expect this to be successful with little kids on a routine twice/week basis, sound like wishful thinking or you are planning to use a screen as a babysitter. I am not trying to be harsh, but realistically this is unlikely to be successful.

I too, think it is unrealistic to think that your STBX would agree to never have a weekend with the children from October to December. That is a long time to go without 1 weekend. What if STBX want to visit family or go to an all day event? You cant do that when child is in school. Although you could argue, it is just preschool anyways, so could take child out for 1-2 days isnt that big of deal.

Comment

Thank you Arabian, great points and questions...

Originally posted by arabian View Post
      - Reconsider both picking up and dropping off. I believe the person who has the access time picks up the kids.
      I wanted to suggest this for the purpose of least path of resistance.

- perhaps be quite specific in exactly what it is that you have done with your work to make your plan feasible. Is your plan realistic with your work responsibilities? One might ask why you weren't able/willing to do this beforehand (expect to hear from your ex about this)?
      It's a family business, close family business who will support me in achieving this. We are also courting a new hire to assist in lightening my load. I wasn't doing this before because that was our life. But this is not the case anymore. With change in one area brings change in others.

- plans to 'someday' move to children's school area are vague unless you have a down payment/proof of a new place....you could change your mind.
      Can I debate that the sale of the matrimonial home would allow that happen or it still doesn't hold weight?

LF32 has some good advice (as do others of course).
      He does! I enjoy his posts.

Your plan included your ex staying home with children until they were both in school. What plans were discussed about your ex returning to work? How easy is this going to be? Does she need upgrading? With an eye to your plan will this get your ex back into the workforce earlier? How does she feel about this?
      We discussed this before, during and after marriage. This shouldn't be hard because she was employed in a family business as well. Minor upgrading would be needed in terms of learning the new products. It would definitely get her back into work earlier. She's in her early 30's and able and would think, reasonably, there's reason she could and should.

Comment

Denbigh, I don't think you're being harsh at all. Everything being replied are contributing to the thinking process so thank you.

If you feel what I'm replying is a far stretch and needs more thought, please say so. This new to me but with that being said, our kids are worth the sacrifice.

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
        u ever actually tried to parent a 2 and 4 year old while you were working? I took a few courses on line when my children were little. It is impossible. If you are getting work done, then that means you are not actually parenting your children, they are amusing themselves in play, and at 2 and 4 expect that to last about 10 minutes before you are interrupted. Or they are stuck in front of a screen. If you are parenting your children, you aren't actually getting any work done. It is one thing to need to do this on a rare occasion, like your child is sick at home, or if your kids are considerably older, but to expect this to be successful with little kids on a routine twice/week basis, sound like wishful thinking or you are planning to use a screen as a babysitter. I am not trying to be harsh, but realistically this is unlikely to be successful.
        I have in spurts, not often and not long. Though the majority of my time spent is fielding infrequent texts/calls/emails. Most of what comes up would be solved on the spot or a re-direct to an employee in our office to resolve. As mentioned above, fully supportive family business, currently courting a new hire to assist as well. If I had to setup a meeting, it would not be for the same day and my clients would understand why.

Our oldest is in school, and our youngest naps for 1-1/2 to 2 hours daily. I would make excellent use of that time. Everything that happened from pickup to her nap time would be well taken care when she naps. And then plan to not take on anything further after she wakes.

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
        I too, think it is unrealistic to think that your STBX would agree to never have a weekend with the children from October to December. That is a long time to go without 1 weekend. What if STBX want to visit family or go to an all day event? You cant do that when child is in school. Although you could argue, it is just preschool anyways, so could take child out for 1-2 days isnt that big of deal.
        I agree and will be changing that too, going to canlii now to read up on solutions.

Comment

Currently see our kids M + W fron 4-7 and Sat from 9-7. This is very recent. Previously, Sats were from 9-2.
          So you pretty much always had Saturdays? Sounds like the children have become accustomed to that routine, and she seems to not mind having her Saturday's off. She has already denied overnight access on Saturdays, which in my opinion doesn't look good on her.

Perhaps full weekends isn't the best route. I'm not sure you'll get it unless a significant material change has taken place, like denial of access occurred and it was deemed temporary make up time.

STBX is trying to keep as much time as possible, limiting my access. Main reason why I served which from what I understand is atypical.
          Atypical? Not in the slightest. In fact this is what happens in most separations involving children now. The system (for lack of a better word) positively reinforces parents to fight over who gets the kids. It's a booming business right now, with people earning piles of cash in every dark corner.

I'm repeatedly trying to reconcile as well for our relationship was a lost connection that I thought could be saved.
          Some hard love for you pal, from what you've written, it seems pretty over. She wont agree in mediation and flat out refuses arbitration, so she wants war. What I learned about myself personally is how much strength a parent can gain when they're fighting to be a part of their kids life. There's nothing else in this world more important in my opinion. No reconciliation ... it's time to prepare for court.

My question is around parenting plans. She has no desire to discuss anything near 50/50 and this is wholeheartedly what I feel would be best.
          Of course she doesn't. She has no confidence in you. You leave the toilet seat up, cant feed kids, burp too loud .. you'll hear it all .. but she chose you as a mate, trusted you to bare your children and you were more present than many fathers out there are. Plus, she's not qualified to assess your parenting skills, especially with he emotions running rampant in a fresh separation. If you've been a good father, go in there and show how you were and present an iron clad parenting plan illustrating how it would be in the best interests of the kids.

Ask for Tuesdays and Wednesdays (both overnights) and one week take Friday Saturday Sunday and the next she take Friday Saturday Sunday.

I proposed additional parenting time to which she agreed verbally but wrote her an email to approve to send to my lawyer. She kept changing it, decreasing the times. After multiple times, I resorted to having my lawyer negotiate with hers because I felt it wasn't progressing.
          This is good. It shows you are not okay with the situation. No acquiescence here.

You might want to have a peek at the CLRA:
          Entitlement to custody
          20 (1) Except as otherwise provided in this Part, a child’s parents are equally entitled to custody of the child. 2016, c. 23, s. 2 (1).

Rights and responsibilities
          (2) A person entitled to custody of a child has the rights and responsibilities of a parent in respect of the person of the child and must exercise those rights and responsibilities in the best interests of the child. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12, s. 20 (2); 2016, c. 23, s. 2 (2).
          If you have documented evidence of her trying to consistently decrease your parenting time than I'd say your case is sounding better.

Has there ever been any straight up denials? If so, look at The maximum contact principle and Rule 20(4)
          Where parents separate
          (4) Where the parents of a child live separate and apart and the child lives with one of them with the consent, implied consent or acquiescence of the other of them, the right of the other to exercise the entitlement of custody and the incidents of custody, but not the entitlement to access, is suspended until a separation agreement or order otherwise provides. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12, s. 20 (4); 2016, c. 23, s. 2 (3).https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c12
          Judges don't take this lightly. I know she's already denied you overnight access, were there any other denials?

She can't be without the kids for too long
          Were there any post pardem symptoms by chance? Sounds like unhealthy attachment stuff, my ex went through the same thing.

My work schedule that will result in being inconsistent for the kids. I am working on changing my role/responsibilities
          You said you're home most days? Let me tell you that that's WAY more than probably 85% of dads. Nothing wrong with support systems when you get a little busy. Having a parent at home with support is better than having no parent at home with support.

Would two months be ok for a graduated transition to 50/50?
          That isn't unreasonable. Perhaps one month or sooner. Separation is fresh, the sooner the better before she achieves status quo.

The Applicant Father recognizes that the Respondent Mother was the primary caregiver during marriage, and knows that the bond between her and the children is very strong. However, he is a very competent, caring, and active parent who very much believes that the children will benefit from having equal parenting time with him and that it is in their best interests to spend equal time with each of their loving parents.
          Luckily the kids are very young, and there are material changes occurring in the near future, such as school, preteen years, etc. Schedules, routines, transitions will all be changing drastically, so why not include dad more and head to the court room stacked with how equal parenting will benefit the kids. By the way, your kids deserve to have both loving parents in their life as equally as possible. That's the bottom line.

I would make all the pick-ups and drop offs.
          Sweet deal for her but you don't have to. Equal parenting, equal driving. My ex told me that I was a visitor .. and that visitor's do all the driving. The judge disagreed. But my recommendation is to suck that up until you have 50/50.

It is my intention to move within school zone to reduce driving time for our children
          I love when I hear stuff like this, and trust me, so do judges.

Our children would not be without either of us for more than three days.

Weekends with them would allow for better bonding and plannable experiences.

Same weekday parenting days make the routine easier to remember and follow.
          Fantastic!!!!

I have you ever actually tried to parent a 2 and 4 year old while you were working?
          Denbeigh, he won't be. We all have support systems as most parents work a 9-5 these days. It's the best of both world's as he's at home, with support. He can take breaks and see them, which many of us can not. Support systems are very important to have and are highly regarded by judges.
          Also, he's said that he is changing his roles and responsibilities to be able to spend even more time during the days. Amazing.

With change in one area brings change in others.
          You're very right. It's your time to shine and rearrange your life to accommodate your kids, and show proof to the judge that you did, and how it will benefit them.

Also, material changes will be occurring in the future as she will be expected to obtain employment, altering the routine with her and the kids. Is she Legal Aiding your a$$?

I have in spurts, not often and not long. Though the majority of my time spent is fielding infrequent texts/calls/emails. Most of what comes up would be solved on the spot or a re-direct to an employee in our office to resolve.
          WAIT!! So you're not locked behind an office door all day in your home only seeing your kids once or twice? You have spurts all day to see them? In my opinion this is still better than going to a 9-5 outside. The kids will have a good sense of security that you're always around and close. Plus you're changing your roles, etc .. you're on the right path.

Our oldest is in school, and our youngest naps for 1-1/2 to 2 hours daily. I would make excellent use of that time. Everything that happened from pickup to her nap time would be well taken care when she naps. And then plan to not take on anything further after she wakes.
          Another great detail. Based on your posts and composure I bet your materials look great.
          Last edited by LovingFather32; 09-03-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

LF32, reading this had fired me up and I don't think I have ever felt so positive since DOS. Much thanks.

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
            So you pretty much always had Saturdays? Sounds like the children have become accustomed to that routine, and she seems to not mind having her Saturday's off. She has already denied overnight access on Saturdays, which in my opinion doesn't look good on her.

Perhaps full weekends isn't the best route. I'm not sure you'll get it unless a significant material change has taken place, like denial of access occurred and it was deemed temporary make up time.
            I don't understand why full weekends wouldn't be the best route. Do mean in the near future or looking forward.

Always had Sats yes. And more and more positive each time. It's not rushed anymore like previous and a different level of planning and activities that just wweren't possible earlier. I love it.

Atypical? Not in the slightest.
            What I meant to add was the little time between DOS and application being served. Nine weeks. Still typical? I'm not trying to win an award here lol

No reconciliation ... it's time to prepare for court.
            I've accepted it's over this past week and not just because we served. I have been preparing for court since day one. I knew custody and access would be a long road. I swear, you fired me up to extreme temperatures.

...Plus, she's not qualified to assess your parenting skills, especially with he emotions running rampant in a fresh separation. If you've been a good father, go in there and show how you were and present an iron clad parenting plan illustrating how it would be in the best interests of the kids.
            Ask for Tuesdays and Wednesdays (both overnights) and one week take Friday Saturday Sunday and the next she take Friday Saturday Sunday.
            Are you suggesting this as final plan? I like the sounds of that. Though that Monday seems like a straggler. And I think it would be nice to do a Monday dropoff. What are the pros and cons of this?

I have documented DURING MARRIAGE duties which were limited but always involved when I could be. Documenting POST MARRIAGE diary down the the minute. And stating POST MARRIAGE intents. I also have a POST MARRIAGE parenting preparation list like books I've read, professionals I am consulting with and parenting classes I am signed up (first day in November, geeze they must be busy) for.

...consistently decrease your parenting time...

Has there ever been any straight up denials? If so, look at The maximum contact principle and Rule 20(4)

Judges don't take this lightly. I know she's already denied you overnight access, were there any other denials?
            Considering this is fairly fresh, I wouldn't say consistent but we're only nine weeks in. Documented at least 4 times. Once cancelled a scheduled day that was arranged between our lawyers. Lastly, denied me coming over night of first day of school so I could talk to our child in person about his day. Was only asking for a few minutes.

Were there any post pardem symptoms by chance? Sounds like unhealthy attachment stuff, my ex went through the same thing.
            Not clinically diagnosed but she did say to me when our second was born that she doesn't love her as much as our first. No evidence so no weight. I feel there is anxiety on her part to this day regarding them not being in her care.

You said you're home most days?
            I could and would be, no problems with sacrifice.

That isn't unreasonable. Perhaps one month or sooner. Separation is fresh, the sooner the better before she achieves status quo.
            Our agreements have changed three times since our DOS... The latest one by only a half hour so not sure what constitutes change in status quo. Regardless, that is why my proposals only last one month before changing. Enough to transition. Not enough to achieve SQ. They've shown they can and are adapting quickly. The major sticking points she fought for in keeping it reduced are documented on my end as not being an issue.

why not include dad more and head to the court room stacked with how equal parenting will benefit the kids. By the way, your kids deserve to have both loving parents in their life as equally as possible. That's the bottom line.
            Amen to that.

Sweet deal for her but you don't have to. Equal parenting, equal driving.
            Do you think offering shows more commitment and path to least resistance at all?

...time to shine and rearrange your life to accommodate your kids, and show proof to the judge that you did, and how it will benefit them.
            Aside from a diary of everything we do together and photos of certain events, any other advice on proof bulding?

Is she Legal Aiding your a$$?
            No. Not yet anyway.

IWAIT!! So you're not locked behind an office door all day in your home only seeing your kids once or twice?
            This got me thinking more... about how I should be taking two afternoons off per week that will further prove the validity of my proposal.

Another great detail. Based on your posts and composure I bet your materials look great.
            My lawyer mentioned my composure as well. Except she got paid for it. But thank for the reply anyway

I've read your posts (not all but working through them) and outcome, 2+ years and I can further see why you know the fight is worth it. I was referencing your holiday/events schedule as most practical. So simple too. I hope (but know) things are going well!

Comment

I don't understand why full weekends wouldn't be the best route. Do mean in the near future or looking forward.
              Full weekends are a time when most parents visit family, go to extra curricular activities, etc. Sharing EOWeekend would be most reasonable IMO.

What I meant to add was the little time between DOS and application being served. Nine weeks. Still typical? I'm not trying to win an award here lol
              Not atypical. You didn't run to the bar and go on a binge looking for rebounds ladies. You're a good guy. You tried to reconcile, communicate and see your kids more. You did so for 9 weeks, then you finally realized she was finished with you and very stubborn with access time. That's your case.

What you need are those 4 access denials, then she can not plead acquiescence (that you basically consented to the situation by not serving earlier). Oh...and she will try that. Have those 4 denials as nice little exhibits to offer when she does. You did NOT consent.

Are you suggesting this as final plan? I like the sounds of that. Though that Monday seems like a straggler. And I think it would be nice to do a Monday dropoff. What are the pros and cons of this?
              This is my current arrangement and I love it. Some here said she would get more long weekends, but everything equaled out. Pick ups and drop-offs at school soon for you also, which means less seeing ex (bonus!!) Write in there somewhere that perhaps an expectation of week about as the kids get in to preteen/teen.

I have documented DURING MARRIAGE duties which were limited but always involved when I could be. Documenting POST MARRIAGE diary down the the minute. And stating POST MARRIAGE intents. I also have a POST MARRIAGE parenting preparation list like books I've read, professionals I am consulting with and parenting classes I am signed up (first day in November, geeze they must be busy) for.
              Journals are great. PICTURES are amazing. I had many pictures with D6 and I at every occasion, teaching her how to walk, reading her bedtime stories (had video of that too).
              Judges are human and with the right amount of photos and videos, they will see just how involved you were and want to be despite her primary caregiver stuff.
              I also did parenting classes (Parenting After Separation) .. the judges loved that.

Documented at least 4 times. Once cancelled a scheduled day that was arranged between our lawyers. Lastly, denied me coming over night of first day of school so I could talk to our child in person about his day. Was only asking for a few minutes.
              I remember I had a color-coded calendar of times I requested access and denied. Judges love this stuff. I had the e-mails to back them up if the judge asked for proof, but I kept them at my desk.

She's trying to minimize your role in the kids life. Fight buddy. FIGHT! Get fired up. I remember 3am mornings with the coffee maker being reloaded every hour setting up my case. Go all in...it's your kids. She doesn't get to call the shots.

Do you think offering shows more commitment and path to least resistance at all?
              Leave the driving issue for now. You have bigger fish to fry.

Aside from a diary of everything we do together and photos of certain events, any other advice on proof building?
              I'll get back to you on this. I'm in the middle of preparing my own materials for the school year...so I'm writing this stuff pretty quick. But I have some great ideas.

This got me thinking more... about how I should be taking two afternoons off per week that will further prove the validity of my proposal.
              Yes, do stuff like this. Also, both kids will be in school in the coming years.

But if I were you, my case would be "Being at home with support to see my kids now and then is better than me being out of the home all day with them having a babysitter,. not seeing me at all". You actually have an advantage that most dont here, including your ex, who will need to find work soon.
              Adults work, family law LOVES support systems and understands that most parents need to earn a living and arn't available every minute of every day. The fact that you have support, work at home and still see the kids is huge in my opinion.

Anyways .. I'll have more later.
              Last edited by LovingFather32; 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I misunderstood what you meant about weekends... I thought you mean not an entire weekend. I have revised my proposal to reflect EOW.

The case is shaping up more and more, it really does help sitting down (yes even at 3am) to put it all on paper, think things through thoroughly and of course share here to make it even better.

By four denials, I'm assuming texts would suffice as proof?

I'm happy to hear that your arrangement is working well. Is here anything you would have done differently?

Looking forward to hearing back later, hope your prep is/going/went well.

Comment

Who,

Best advice I can give and this is it:

Play to win.....or you could be a big loser

Demand 50/50 as the norm
                  Split all duties evenly
                  Know your Rights and Stand Firm
                  Your STBX is no longer your friend
                  You are, to her, merely a meal ticket and a source of income now
                  There is no US anymore, just you & her
                  The children are yours too
                  Don't give away anymore that required by law, that way you might have money later to help your kids as you see fit (instead of paying for sports cars or trips for your ex)

Be fair, but include yourself in that fairness.

Listen to LF32......he knows the ropes better, unfortunately, than most.

Comment

one big thing to think about when trying to come up to an agreement with access, think about how you would feel if it was being offered to you. I know you changed the stance on weekends, but as an example, how would you feel if your ex offered that she keeps all the weekends? Always put yourself in the other persons shoes. That way it makes sure that you are trying to be reasonable. If it isnt acceptable to you then why would something be acceptable to your soon to be ex?

You are on the right track, keep your head held high and dont resort to mudslinging as this goes on. Let her be the one to sink to that level. You keep dong things that are child focused and you will be okay.

Comment

pbte and sots, thanks for that, very helpful, grounding and uplifting all at the same time.

Comment

Weekends are the fun parenting time, especially once the kids are in school. Alternate the weekends to be fair to both parents. The rest looks AOK to me. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks paris.

Once I am done with my proposal, should I be sending this to my lawyer?

I also drafted up a case for debating Primary Caregiver and Status quo. Should I send that as well?

Comment

I don't have much to add other than to say there are many other parenting arrangements other than the typical 2-2-3 which is often-quoted here. My ex and I split our weekends (I get Saturday and he comes and picks our son up on Sunday mornings) and it's awesome! We both get one weekend day of kid time and one day of adult time. If ever any of us needs a full weekend we just ask and I've never said no (and neither has he).

Our current arrangement is Sunday AM to Wednesday drop off him and me from Wednesday drop off to Sunday AM. Our son has ONE transition (transitions are hard for many) and we can both schedule work stuff easily around the days we don't have him (and know well in advance when that is because our days are fixed).

Broken record, but please please listen to this podcast: The New Family / Dr. Robert Emery Archives - The New Family

This is not about you or your Ex. It's about the kids and doing right by them. It may not be 'equal' or 'fair' or be some Game of Thrones fight that LF is advocates, but in the end your kids will benefit knowing you did what was best for THEM.

Also, i applaud you for leaning back for work stuffs. I did the same after my split and it was the best decision ever. Good luck papa!

Comment

ensorcelled, thanks for chiming in. What you added was great and a nice alternative.

I do have a question about access, today was our child's first day of JK so I went over the house (as agreed with my STBX) to walk over with them to school. It's about a ten minute. It felt awesome to be a part of this and our child definitely enjoyed it too.

On the way back, I suggested that I come over in the mornings twice a week to do the same and was met with resistance and avoidance and later an email saying I was being angry. The email has other items of discussion and did not address her accusations in my reply.

Can I reasonably show up anyway? I know our child would love it and quite frankly, myself included.

Comment

She is not your friend anymore....remember?

LF32, jump in here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X