This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Conflict Lawyer Paired with High Conflict Ex

So my lawyer has just informed me my ex has hired a very high conflict lawyer. (in a round about way of course) She's basically told me this is probably going to take 18 months to settle. Ehhhh court application being filed on Monday. I wanted to wait until after the visit with the kids before the ex get's served. I want to spare the children the drama and at least he'll get 48hrs of cooling off time before he has the kids again. I don't really know what to expect from here. Lawyer mentioned the first case conference we could ask what they think should be decided and use this for negotiations. Anyone ever do this before? Or are two high conflict people just going to keep bleeding me dry? Arf! Family court blows! Not that I've dealt with crimal court either, I'm sure it sucks just as bad!

Welcome to my world.

Comment

And mine, sweet lady - keep yourself strong and healthy. For a time, Court and alllll the endless BS kicked the hell out of me. Keep learning more and more, read a lot - take vitamins and exercise. It will help give you the strength to sustain this.

Comment

and mine...

Comment

Sweet! lol At least I'm not alone! Thanks for the great advice hadenough! I haven't been taking the greatest care of myself lately. Time to focus on me maybe just a little!

Comment

Keep an eye on your lawyer. Her remarks to you could reflect her past dealings with the other lawyer. Very unprofessional of her. Before you get in too deep financially with this lawyer be sure you are confident she will do a good job for you. You certainly don't need a lawyer who is easily intimidated. Sounds like your lawyer is warming you up to the idea of a huge legal bill. Ask her about a binding JDR. Keeps the bills down and forces you to make a deal quickly with the judge right beside you to make sure the lawyers behave themselves. If your lawyer isn't in favor of considering a binding JDR then get another lawyer. Read up on the internet about JDR's. There are 2 types: binding and non-binding. I thankfully opted for the binding. Good luck and READ OVER EVERYTHING VERY CAREFULLY - LAWYERS AND THEIR ASSISTANTS MAKE MISTAKES ALL THE TIME.

Comment

Great advice arabian! I'll get some reading done this weekend while the kids are gone.

Comment

Great advice. Yes I wish someone had pulled me aside at the beginning and told me to get a grip. I lost a lot of weight, fast (and didn't need to, that's for sure), I couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate - basically went to hell in a handbasket quick. I did not have anyone to talk to about this as no one I knew had been through it. Regrettably, I did not know about this forum either. If I had, I haven't a doubt in my mind that things could have gone more smoothly for me. I was totally green. A rookie. In the dark. Things are better now (in some ways) - mostly in the way I deal w/them. My perception had to change, a lot. I had to adapt, evolve and learn. I'm still learning. What a trip, lol.

Comment

lol I'm the same way. I've lost far to much already and didn't have much to spare. Like you, I have nobody in my life that's gone through this. I get lots of bad advice from friends that just don't understand. One day at a time. I've got some great advice from here about communicating, and that's been great since! He rambles on and on. I ignore and respond when I feel like to only things that need to be responded to. This site has given me some of my strength back! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Keep your head up! Try to keep your mind open. Take care of yourself, mentally and physically. Eat right, cut back caffeine.
                    Don't be afraid to fight for what you believe in and make sure to communicate what it is you expect from your lawyer.
                    Let's hope the two high conflict people, burn each other out!lol
                    Use this site as much as possible.... play money smart with your lawyer....
                    There are alot of helpful people and loads of information on just about everything.
                    Just remember what it is that you are fighting for..........

Comment

A lot of it is posturing and intimidation and stating opinion as if it's fact. These kinds of people hope you will cower. A lot of it is bluster and bravado that is not matched by anything substantive

Comment

I am suspicious of your lawyers comments. There seems to be alot of deflection of blame by lawyers. It seems that she made a pre emptive strike to the other side with her comment. In this way when the bills start escalating we can all blame the other side NOT your friend the lawyer. I could be wrong and you might have a fine lawyer with a human side.
                        Most couples will have big bills like 25k or 50k with little to nothing accomplished. The system does not work for its customers, it works for the legal proffessionals within. Your families money/equity will deplete quickly while the system takes it away.
                        Mediation is a far better less costly, less antagonistic solution for all couples trying to get divorced without losing years of your life and your equity. The current system is so overburdened, flawed, money hungry and arrogant that it should be ashamed of what it has done and become.
                        Collaberative law is also better than the win/lose approach of 2 lawyers battling till the money is gone. If your 2 lawyers are practicing collaberative law that is a good sign. Ask about this option but look into mediation as your best solution.
                        I have joined a group advocating for families, men and women looking for a better way of dealing with divorce. We are a watchdog group looking at the interworkings of our courts and its results for families.
                        Look us up on face book or on our web page. Canadian Families for Law Reform.
                        Good luck and I am glad to see that despite the conflict you are letting your kids see their dad. This is not always the case. I have not had my kids for 7 yrs not because the courts said so but because she has choosen to use them as leaverage. Now they are completely allienated from me due to the isolation and constant broadcasting of negative messages about their dad.
                        Divorce can get ugly!

Comment

I've offered mediation twice to his lawyer. He refused once, then demanded my finacials with the second offer. My lawyer was pushing for mediation as she knows I'm not made of money. She also does a "help" program where you can self represent but she helps at a lower cost doing the paper work. I've researched his lawyer. His specialty is litigation. So I think I might be leaning towards my lawyer being right. Its going to be an up hill battle I'm sure! My lawyer brought up Collaberative and said most of the lawyers in my area do this. His does not! I'm in a small town. Maybe 30 lawyers within a 30km are that practice family law and most do more then just family.

I'll check you out on facebook. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Can get ugly? or IS ugly?

Tracey123, i feel your pain on every front. Divorce/custody battles are all consuming and no matter what you do, the stress will cause health issues. The past year of my life has been hell for health issues and until recently, haven't even seen a doctor in 10 years! Now i'm there a few times a month... haha. Hobbies and the gym are good ways to get your mind off things and make you extra tired before bed, so you get a half decent nights sleep. Don't forget that you need to get on with your life too ~ meet new people and HAVE FUN.

As far as your case conference, the whole purpose is for the judge to "scare" you into settling. They'll tell you briefly how they decide, if you went to trial.

I had mine a month ago. The judge said that he doesn't believe in two households during the week because of homework, kids need one desk to do it at. I am in agreement with that, unless the parents can cooperate with regards to homework. The second thing he said to my ex (she moved and is looking for a new job in her small town), was that he strongly suggests she move back, or else she'll be facing me being the primary residence for our children.

Unfortunatly, if you have an ex like mine, it's in one ear and out the other... Long motion, here i come.

Good luck!!!

Comment

One more thing - i tried collaborative law. Doesn't matter if his lawyer isn't a collaborative law lawyer, they have an interest in keeping you from going to court. I strongly suggest that if you don't think your ex is the type of person to compromise or agree to anything without being told, then don't waste your time and money. I spent $6500 and 6 months going that route, with not one result. The few things we agreed on (holiday schedule), her new lawyer threw out.

You also can't use your collaborative law lawyer in court. You'd have to find a new one, if no resolution was found.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X