X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critiquing Custody and Access Assessments

in case some one looking for same

from Critiquing Custody and Access Assessments

But what if you think the assessment is wrong?

Custody and access assessments can be challenged. “Assessment critiques” evaluate the reliability of the assessment, looking for procedural and factual errors. The first step is to examine the procedures used in the assessment against current "Standards of Practice" as outlined by various professional bodies (e.g., American Psychological Association). Next, factual data is checked against the various sources of information. The critique also seeks to determine if the recommendations make sense, both in terms of the data reported and in terms of current social science research. There needs to be a clear and obvious connection between data and recommendations

As part of the critique process, it may be important to review an assessor’s education to determine if they possess the requisite knowledge to address certain issues such as sexual abuse, psychiatric disorders, parental alienation and so on.

... for full article follow the link...
    about author

Gary Direnfeld is a social worker. Courts in Ontario, Canada, consider him an expert on child development, parent-child relations, marital and family therapy, custody and access recommendations, social work and an expert for the purpose of giving a critique on a Section 112 (social work) report. His opinion helps resolve child custody and access matters.
    there is the catch thou ...

(Please note, I do NOT accept referrals for this service from persons who are self represented. The referral for service MUST come from a lawyer.)

I came across him in my searching too to get an idea what we may be getting ourselves into and found some others better for our needs.

Family Solutions Associate - Dr. Barbara Jo Fidler

Parenting Capacity Assessments PCA Durham region Ajax Whitby Pickering Oshawa Scarborough Toronto Etobicoke Richmond Hill Cobourg, Belleville, Ontario. Serving the Children's Aid Society and the general public in the regions of Durham, Toronto, York,

We are waiting for her short list to arrive. I think we should be insisting on a psychologist over a social worker for what we are personally dealing with.

Comment

I am not sure what the regulations are in Ontario so if you go with a psychologist do find out prior to releasing your retainer what your estimated cost will be. If you are very high conflict make sure there is some thing in place should the cost exceed the retainer amount you are to be notified in writing immediately. Also, I would meet with the psychologist prior to get a feel for them. I unfortunately did not to this and after a $20,000.00 retainer was paid I panicked after the first meeting as I thought (correctly) that the psychologist was CRAZY (although she came highly recommended). Not only was our final cost over double and the length of time over a year and a half but the outcome was catastrophic to our family. I am not saying that this is a bad thing to do just be very careful that you are comfortable with who you hire to do this very BIG job. The courts hold the reports done by reputable psychologists in high regard and will most likely take what they recommend and go with that so you need to be sure you are confident in who you choose.

Comment

Definately shop around. You can also plug the assessor's name into a canlii search and you may find several cases that they were involved with to help you get a feel for both the assessor AND how certain judges react to them.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X