X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer recommendations

Hello everyone,
    I would like to know if any of you have knowledge of a good lawyer in the west Toronto, Mississauga/ Brampton or Oakville area..I would like to know why you liked this lawyer and what their particular strengths were...
    Thanks so much in Advance.

How about Edmonton?

Comment

I am also very interested in answers to this post. I am also looking for a lawyer in GTA West end: Oakville, Burlington or Hamilton. I know some good lawyers Toronto downtown, but these are expensive and far for me (I do not drive). Therefore I would appreciatge any input to this post. Thank you.

Comment

how about trying to do it yourself.......of course depending on how trivial and complex it is......save yourself a ton of money

Comment

I was considering this - seriously, but the more I think about it the more I realize that a lawyer is the only sensible solution for me. I do not trust my husband now and this is the main reason.

Comment

trust is always a two way street......you dont trust the man you shared a life with but you would trust a lawyer with your future ( I ask cause someone asked me same thing)......I guess you would if you are slapping down 5000$ retainer.....are you going for divorce or custody.....if its divorce and its simple......do yourself......if you have many investments could be sticky......one house and a few RRSP really not worth the cost of lawyer

Comment

I thank you very much for your reply Littleman. This was actually very helpful. I will once again consider doing it myself. We only have a house, RRSPs are almost next to none. Custody is not an issue because my husband expressed clearly that he is not interested in parenting to our two sons (15 and 17 now). I do not even want to bother too much about custody support payments - I know he will try to avoid this and there is not much time left for him to pay anyways. The issue that is troublesome is with my illness (I have anorexia....)) and it seems like he is trying to take this to his advantage. There are days when I feel so ill that I will sign, do, act....you name it... anything just to get the stuff our of my way, because I feel so unwell and cannot think clearly...

Comment

very simple divorce then.......house is 50/50, same for RRSP.....child support no choice a judge will force that.....support is for the children and not a choice its an obligation of a parent.....even if you decline judge will still force......you can obtain simple divorce providing you have been seperated for 1 year....file for uncontested divorce and go from there......make it simple.....dont go after his soul.....ask for half house & RRSP and he will see you as reasonable......again child support a judge will force on him so he might as well agree to table amount.......simplify for everyone concerned

Comment

Thank you once agin littleman! It seems to me that you have a LOT of experience with this proceeding! and what is awsome you are not keeping it to yourself but do your best to help others with sincere and honest advice! Thank you - I really appreciate your good heart!
                  If I can ask you then for more advice - can you please tell me how to start this? My husband will not do anything himself because he is not document saavy... he actually expressed many times that I start this because I know paperwork better (I worked as a secreatry for many years before I went on LTD three years ago). Which form should I complete first and where can I get it and where should I file it? Do I need to have a lawyer commisison it ? Just give me some idea what to do to start this proceeding (we have been married for 22 years). Thank you.

Comment

Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services
                    get the forms from above site
                    start with form 8A and go from there
                    you both need to file and make your payment when you first file......not sure how much.....its part payment and the balance due when you file for the final decree

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret-Krupa View Post
                      I thank you very much for your reply Littleman. This was actually very helpful. I will once again consider doing it myself. We only have a house, RRSPs are almost next to none. Custody is not an issue because my husband expressed clearly that he is not interested in parenting to our two sons (15 and 17 now). I do not even want to bother too much about custody support payments - I know he will try to avoid this and there is not much time left for him to pay anyways. The issue that is troublesome is with my illness (I have anorexia....)) and it seems like he is trying to take this to his advantage. There are days when I feel so ill that I will sign, do, act....you name it... anything just to get the stuff our of my way, because I feel so unwell and cannot think clearly...
                      If you are ill and feeling pressured, this is exactly the sort of situation where you shouldn't just do it yourself.

I would say to at least do this:

1) Call the Upper Canada Law Society, they have a referral service and will provide you with lawyers who will give you a half hour consultation, there is a $5 (I believe it is still $5) on your phone bill. See several lawyers, stress it is a consulation and you going to see other lawyers as well. Be prepared with a few pages of notes with your financial information (last few years tax returns, bank statements, house tax appraisal, etc) and get some clear information. See several lawyers, many will also do this by phone consultation. Understand what your situation is. Your final settlement doesn't have to be "by the book" or "what the courts would say" but you should also not feel pressured or bullied. Have a list of questions for your consultations and after each, add to the list for your questions for your next consultation.

2) Read "Surviving your Divorce" by Michael Cochrane. This is written by an Ontario divorce lawyer, it goes over the basics of the law and also gives personal advice of the emotional feelings you will go through. I highly recommend it. "Tug of War" by Harvey Brownstone is highly recommended. It is an excellent book written by an Ontario family court judge. It has much of the same info as Surviving your Divorce, they compliment each other well. Read read read, it will give you a chance to understand and sort out your situation. Don't be in a state where your knowledge, feelings and options all depend on what your husband has to say to you.

3) Feel free to give more details of any offer you receive on the board here, there are many of us, we don't take sides, we have all been through this and will spot anything that leaves you vulnerable.

Please don't try to do this alone if you are feeling this way.

Comment

Thank you so much. I will download this form this evening. So it means that both my husband and I have to fill out one form EACH and then file EACH form at the courhouse separately?
                        Please advise. Thank you.

Comment

you dont have to file seperately
                          my ex and I filed together so that both forms said the exact same thing and there was no dispute.......we had a civil divorce (meaning no BS and both thought it was best).....we are still friends and that is best for our child

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret-Krupa View Post
                            Thank you once agin littleman! It seems to me that you have a LOT of experience with this proceeding! and what is awsome you are not keeping it to yourself but do your best to help others with sincere and honest advice! Thank you - I really appreciate your good heart!
                            If I can ask you then for more advice - can you please tell me how to start this? My husband will not do anything himself because he is not document saavy... he actually expressed many times that I start this because I know paperwork better (I worked as a secreatry for many years before I went on LTD three years ago). Which form should I complete first and where can I get it and where should I file it? Do I need to have a lawyer commisison it ? Just give me some idea what to do to start this proceeding (we have been married for 22 years). Thank you.
                            He can't avoid child support, nor should he try.

Perhaps you can convince him that you only want half, and that he pays child support monthly according to his income, adjusted yearly based on his tax return. You can also offer him a quick settlement and a cheap one in that if you are amicable you can hire ONE lawyer for the two of you to simply write up your standard agreement and handle the paperwork for a fixed cost - there are some lawyers that will do this, I would get a fixed price if possible. One lawyer is the easiest way to go as long as you tell them what you want (the 50/50 split plus child support adjusted yearly). Having your own lawyer, unless you are very strong willed is usually a disaster because they like to 'fight it out' and are interested in getting you the most they can, rather than something that is fair for everyone.

Comment

Thank you very much for your message Mess. I actually know Michael Cochrane in person. I met with him three years ago - I went to his office for a consult. He made a stupendous impression on me and I called him again a month ago. I was going to see him again and retain him but I fell quite ill and had to cancel my appointment (his office is downtown in Toronto). I am really considering hiring him but his fees scare me to death. I am also thinking about hiring a woman family law laywer who has expertise in emotional abuse. I once read about that firm but cannot recall the name. I am sure however I will find them again on the net. Thank you guys again for your input. I have to go out now but will be back to this forum daily from now on. Margaret

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X