Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept my exes surname for a bit but was going to change it back to my maiden name until I met someone and got remarried. My daughter has now assumed a hyphenated name. Her birth certificate has not changed nor any legal documents but the school allows for a "name preferred to be called" & she has assumed her new hyphenated name. I have also been able to enroll her in camps, sports and programs with her assumed name

You could change yours back and hyphenate your kids names to reflect yours. You don't need permission for this as is is being assumed not legally changed for the kids.

Comment

It also comes down to whether the other party wants you to not use his name, especially when they are remarried and the new wife insist you stop using his last name!

I am having difficulty "legally reversing my married name to my maiden name" as when we married I legally applied to take his name and at the Registrar's office they changed my maiden name to my married name on my "birth certificate" although I surely wasn't born with my married name! It's been over a year and they have sent me three different incorrect birth certificate with the last one with my "first name removed". I have sent the correct forms "Election to Resume Former Surname" with the $25 fee, only for the documents to be returned stating they need the original birth certificate showing the correct name, my maiden name which I do NOT have. Should they not have record of this at the Registrar's Office in Thunder Bay, ON?
      Does anyone know where else I can obtain a "birth certificate" issued at birth?
      as the ex and his wife have sent endless emails to me, the children, members of my family insisting I change my last name which I am desperately trying to do without success.

Comment

I have no idea how they'd have made such a mistake, however te ex nor his new wife has any right to demand you change your name nor can they legally require you to do so. Tell them to go pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by TLCRN View Post
          It also comes down to whether the other party wants you to not use his name, especially when they are remarried and the new wife insist you stop using his last name!

I am having difficulty "legally reversing my married name to my maiden name" as when we married I legally applied to take his name and at the Registrar's office they changed my maiden name to my married name on my "birth certificate" although I surely wasn't born with my married name! It's been over a year and they have sent me three different incorrect birth certificate with the last one with my "first name removed". I have sent the correct forms "Election to Resume Former Surname" with the $25 fee, only for the documents to be returned stating they need the original birth certificate showing the correct name, my maiden name which I do NOT have. Should they not have record of this at the Registrar's Office in Thunder Bay, ON?
          Does anyone know where else I can obtain a "birth certificate" issued at birth?
          as the ex and his wife have sent endless emails to me, the children, members of my family insisting I change my last name which I am desperately trying to do without success.
          The place you were born (i.e. Hospital) may still maintain the record. Depending on the time (year) you were born the original birth record could still be there. Furthermore, you can rely on your birth parent's document's to establish your last name for the purposes of your birth records.

As well, if the clinician who delivered you is still alive you can get a professional testimony of your birth and that the issued record is incorrect.

The problem you face is that you are dealing with a clerical error on your birth certificate. You can still change your name to "moonbeam raygun" if you want without it being reflected on your birth certificate. Most solicitors can execute the documents for you for a small fee and clean up the birth certificate issue.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X