Need to make changes in the Final Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to make changes in the Final Order

I am the Respondent in our family case and last week after the 5 day trial I was awarded full custody of my daughter after three long years of battle.
    I received the Judge's final order but the access is not clarified. Also the Judge in one of his points in the Order made reference to the Applicant as Respondent but the remaining paragraph and the context is clearly related to the Applicant.
    I need to know the process & what forms to complete in order to ask for the Judge to clarify these points and place a detail in the Access.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is any help as my litigation is in Alberta.

My ex's lawyer was disputing the interpretation of the divorce judgement order (rendered 2 years beforehand) and had filed an order based on his interpretation that SS I had received the previous year be used for income calculation for purposes of determining SS. Totally ridiculous, however, we were in a position that a response was required. My lawyer wrote a letter to the judge asking for clarification of the order. The judge met with both lawyers in his chambers and reamed out ex's lawyer stating (according to my lawyer) "Mr. XXX in order to accept your interpretation of this order I would have to re-write the Divorce Act." "Your motion is therefore denied." The judge further elaborated on this in the order which was then filed in court.

In my case petitioning the judge directly cut through the bullshit and stopped the OC in his tracks. I don't believe any forms were used.

Comment

I just skimmed over your previous posts. I would be very interested to know what happened to your ex for not complying with order to submit documents by deadline. Was income imputed?

Were you awarded costs?

Congratulations on your success in court.

Comment

I received the Judge's final order but the access is not clarified. Also the Judge in one of his points in the Order made reference to the Applicant as Respondent but the remaining paragraph and the context is clearly related to the Applicant.
        For the latter point, contact the judge's secretary or administrative assistant to ask for clarification.

For the former, read over the Order again to see what is intended. Is the status quo to be maintained? Are the parties supposed to work this issue out? Is it being left to one party's discretion?

If you are 100% not sure, ask for clarification - including whether it should be achieved by motion for judicial direction.

Any letters to the judge should be carbon copied to your ex, with the cc noted on the letter.

Comment

After the December Trial, The Judge gave his endorsement on Dec. 17. In the endorsement he gave one more month to my ex to submit her financial statements. On Feb. 19, 2014, we both went in front of the same Trial Judge. On that day, My ex had a lawyer and I was self-represented. The Judge mentioned to her lawyer that this is not a continuation of the trial but since his client didn't submit the financial statements and other documents pertaining to the property, this day is just to review these documents. My ex to no surprise didn't submit all the documents that were ordered by the trial judge.
          At the end of the day Judge requested my ex to submit the cost brief by March 15 and I will submit my cost brief on March 30. After which the Judge will make his order on Cild Support, Spousal Support and Property.
          I received the passports of my daughter and myself.

Two questions:

1. What should I put in my cost brief document. Is there a tempalte available?

2. My daughter's passport cannot be renewed without her mother's signature even though I have full and sole custody of my daughter. Also the passport office is looking for the Final Order document regarding custody. They didn't accept the Judge's endorsement of Dec. 17, 2013.
          Can you help me on how to get her passport renewed. I promised my daughter that this year I will be taking her to Disney Land.
          Last edited by slskz786; 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

You can ask a judge to give you the authority to be able to apply for a passport in the child's name without the consent or signature of your ex.

Since you have full and sole custody I don't think there should be a problem.

The wording on my final order is (I am the Applicant):

The Applicant shall apply for a passport in the child's name without the consent and/or signature of the Respondent.

The Applicant shall be entitled to travel with the child out-of-country without the necessity of obtaining the Respondent's consent and/or authorization to travel document.

The second part would be important for you since you want to go to Disney Land.

Comment

Is there a template available for a final order for a parent with sole custody?

Comment

Final Order

Does anyone has a template of final order for a parent with sole custody?

Comment

Does anyone has a template of final order for a parent with sole custody?
                  Many people choose to write the judge's endorsement or the minutes of settlement verbatum.

A reasonable drafting:

1. The Applicant/Respondent Mother/Father, NAME SURNAME, shall have sole custody of the children, namely AAAA, born DATE and BBBB, born DATE.

if that is what was agreed to/ordered. There may be incidents of custody (information, etc) that would be included in other clauses.

Be certain to use numbers with each paragraph!

Comment

Thank you.
                    Can I ask the Judge to clarify his endorsement in the Final Order. For example, access schedule, travelling etc.

Comment

Orleans lawyer: we wrote up the draft order and served it upon the other lawyer based on the minutes of settlement. The lawyer did not respond and it has now been over 30 days since we served it.

The draft order and aff of service was filed at courthouse with support deduction order. 15 days after being filed we were advised they will not accept it and are returning it because "it does not reflect the minutes of settlement".

The draft order included the income of the payor whereas the minutes of settlement gave an approximate amount of income (the actual amount we added was exact and higher than the approximate amount in the minutes). And the access that is a four week rotation was augmented by a calendar that both parents already signed off of immediately after the minutes of settlement were agreed to. And the summer vacation stated to be shared in four parts and we added "for 2014 the parents have agreed to xxx dates".

The family law rules state that a draft order is to be served and any objections or corrections be carried out through service and lists how to do that. We advised the court clerk that since the opposing lawyer remained silent that the draft order should go ahead to make a final order as we only added clarification of the access schedule and income for support amounts which is clearly in line with the spirit of the minutes of settlement. Furthermore there is no guideline amount for "approximately xxx salary" and therefore we gave the actual income amount to determine the guideline amount for calculations of CS. Court clerk maintained she would be returning all docs and not processing/creating final order.

The other lawyer is silent despite over 15 emails and phone calls and at least one properly served draft order. What do we do now?

We have also been paying FRO the increased CS amount since January yet there is no order on file with FRO to justify the increased amount. Will the order be retroactive in stating the date to increase the CS amount or will the new and higher amount only be effective when the actual order is created?

Any insight/help would be appreciated.

Comment

What do we do now?
                        Three choices:

1 - Do nothing.

2 - Amend the draft Order to reflect the minutes of settlement.

3 - Bring a motion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X