7 months no decision on motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months no decision on motion

Please I need opinions on how to proceed. motion on parenting was heard 7 months ago and Judge still has decision reserved. Is this not defeated the purpose of temporary relief and even justice. What can I do? issue can't move to trial as the other party did not even offer anything.

I had a similar situation recently. I wrote the trial coordinator a very polite email asking that the matter be looked into. A few days later I had the decision.

I am not sure there is much more you can do. You don't want to upset the Judge who is writing your decision.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      I had a similar situation recently. I wrote the trial coordinator a very polite email asking that the matter be looked into. A few days later I had the decision.

I am not sure there is much more you can do. You don't want to upset the Judge who is writing your decision.
      Thank you Jeff. This is really concerning. Why should a judge be upset. I know courts are busy but 7 months for a decision on a single issue interim relief is not Justice, even if the decision comes today it is still not Justice. Should Judges be upset or go to work with their emotions because of an inquiry? Isn't there a timeline for a decision to be released?

Do I have to include the OP in the letter if I write one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
        I am sure Jeff is better versed than I am on this topic, but just my 2 cents. Judges are SUPER busy. The court system has a very strict schedule. You will see when you look how the court schedules things. You will notice that Tuesdays is reserved to hear motions. Whereas Wednesdays its filled with CAS cases. Thursdays tends to be 1st appearances, case conferences and settlement conferences. So judges literally block off Friday afternoons to sit in the office and write out decisions. Its a constant game of catch-up given that they spend their weeks in the courtroom, and only 1 day at a computer writing decisions out.
        I do not disagree that the courts is busy. There have been many Fridays over the last 7 months. I am just at wits end on this. I am looking at cases on Canlii from the same court being released in record time even trials of over 2 weeks have its decisions released within 4 weeks. Do I just have to wait indefinitely? It is as if the court is helping the OP create a false status quo. Is this what Justice look like? Shouldn't there a timeline for Judges to release their decisions? Is it still a temporary relief if you have to wait 7 months plus on a motion and counting?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X