X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man did I dig myself in a hole!

Hello everyone,

When my ex and I split up after 9 years. I was feeling pretty upset about it because it was by my choice. So let’s say that I was really not up to fighting the fight as much as she was. We decided to go to mediation ($7000) to hammer out the separation agreement. This was going well until the topic of spousal support came up.

My ex-wife runs a home daycare and has since my son was born. We have 2 kids 9 and 5. Therefore is considered self employed. The problem was that she had not done her 2009 business taxes, so we ended up finally using her 2008 taxes to determine about spousal support. Well in 2008 we lived in the country were her daycare suffered due to lack of children. In 2009 we were in the city and it was always a full house.

So instead of using her salary at the $36,000 she made in 2009 we used the $16,000 that she made in 2008. After a lot of protesting on my part the mediator told me not to worry that the spousal support would go down the following year as we would just use the previous years T4/business tax statement to revisit the spousal support and always be a year behind.

My problem is when we sat down the next year and she used her earnings from 2009 which is what we should have used during our mediation, the computer that calculates spousal support stated that she should get $0 a month. I think had she shown up with her 2009 earnings for mediation, I would not be on the bill for spousal support for 7 to 15 years. In fact spousal support probably would have been out of the question.

Her salary 34,000 (net) + 10,464 (CS) + 3600 (SS) + 5292 (gov’t credits/breaks) = $53,356.00 (net give or take 2k)

My Salary 58,000- 18,000 (taxes) – 14,064 (CS & SS) – 792.00 (college fund) – 828.00 (mandated life insurance) = $24,316.00 (net give or take 1k)

Also
    the mediator asked me to get a sample layoff package from my employer stating what they would have offered me had they laid me off the day I left the house. I was then told by the mediator that that layoff sample is a marital asset and that I had to pay her half of this non-existent money. Has anyone else encountered this?

So my question is this. Should I take our agreement and throw it out and take my chances with a judge in family court? Do you think the judge would see through all the mess and realize that she in fact used a much lower salary from 2008 for negotiation purposes and that she has no intentions of changing her situation and is very content running the daycare?

Thanks for reading this post and look forward to your answers.

I'm no lawyer or dont have a legal background, but If i were in your position I would definately goto trial. And ask the judge to imput her income to $36,000 because it is not your fault she did not file her taxes on time.

Comment

"I was then told by the mediator that that layoff sample is a marital asset and that I had to pay her half of this non-existent money."

Just like her life insurance. She needs to pay out half of that money to you she would have received if she died on the day of your separation.

That mediator is playing what most of the lawyers: just creating conflict by having the parties coming up ridiculous claims so they need to use a dirtbag longer and they could siphon them longer.

Comment

I thought it was completly rediculous. When the mediator mentioned about owing her half I laughed and said I would quit my job, leave the country and she would never see a dime from me again.

I ended up caving a little. I gave her an additional $3,000 as hush money and the balance payable if and when I ever get layed off.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
          Also the mediator asked me to get a sample layoff package from my employer stating what they would have offered me had they laid me off the day I left the house. I was then told by the mediator that that layoff sample is a marital asset and that I had to pay her half of this non-existent money. Has anyone else encountered this?

I have never heard of such a provision. It is a rediculous notion at that. To believe that she should be entitled to an amount equal of a non-existant scenario is stupid. Yes, I can see pension, because it is an amount which has a dollar value and retirement is a reasonable expectation. But the idea that she should be entitled to what amounts to a probability is assinine.

I mean, ok lets assume your ex regularly plays lotto 649. Should she have to pre-pay you an amount equal to the amount she may win if she lands a jackpot? I don't think so.

Comment

Hey your preaching to the choir here. But according to the mediator, the sample layoff is technically considered to be a marital asset. I have not officially looked into it as I only paid her $3,000 of it to get her to back off.

Afterall we are talking about my ex that on top of the child support and spousal support asked the mediator for $120.00 a month additional for dog support.

Comment

Hey your preaching to the choir here. But according to the mediator, the sample layoff is technically considered to be a marital asset. I have not officially looked into it as I only paid her $3,000 of it to get her to back off.

Afterall we are talking about my ex that on top of the child support and spousal support asked the mediator for $120.00 a month additional for dog support.

Common. dog support? You kidding right ?

Comment

I wish I was. One thing you need to know is her father was also coaching her during our seperation and he was a president of a large union in the city. So you can imagine his demands.

Comment

I wish I was. One thing you need to know is her father was also coaching her during our seperation and he was a president of a large union in the city. So you can imagine his demands.
                  I can. At least now we know where laid of package demand come from )))

Comment

Does anyone know if my spousal support payment can go up if I got a promotion 2 years after we seperated? I know she is entitled to get an increase for child support. But I wonder about spousal support 2 years down the road?

Comment

Does anyone know if my spousal support payment can go up if I got a promotion 2 years after we seperated? I know she is entitled to get an increase for child support. But I wonder about spousal support 2 years down the road?
                      if you do not have it in your agreement than I doubt.

Comment

Only if there is a clause in your court order/agreement that provides that SS may be reopened in event of changes of income....in which case that works both ways. Meaning, she can come after you if your income goes up for increased SS, but you can go after her to reduce SS should her income ever increase.

Your mediator bent you over. Unfortunately, mediators will generally lean on the person they feel is more willing to capitulate. And in your case, that was you.

The mediator may claim that future layoff is an asset, but unless they have caselaw to back that up I would tell them to get bent.

Support for the dog of $120 a month? Really?? Is it on a special meal plan consisting of truffles and caviar? Does it have significant health issues that warrant such expenses? Either way, I would say "I will take the dog". Should she baulk at that, I would argue that if she is unwilling to part with the animal, she should be responsible for maintaining it. Bizarrely enough, I have heard of this, but only in instances with individuals with uber-high incomes (like celebrities). Do you get "access" to the dog?

Comment

lol, only access i get is when she needs a dog sitter while she goes south for vacations on all my hard earned money.

She said throughout mediation that her main concern is for the children. Yet she proved time and time again that her main concern was strictly financial. Case in point with the dog support. She even went to her lawyers to see if she had any rights to my then girlfriends bank account. She figured that she was entitled to a portion of her savings as well.

Comment

I never cease to be amazed by the tactics in family court - that's totally ridiculous - both the dog support AND the possibly lay-off package. Sounds like that mediator isn't helping at all so I'd try a different route all-together...

As for SS, I think anything is possible until you have a full and final release which is why many lawyers now recommend an immediate payout for the release if it's manageable. I think even with a final order it could be re-opened but hey I could be wrong on that one.

Comment

Cashcow4ex: what is the status of your agreement/divorce? Are you still negotiating or are you looking to vary an agreement already in place?

FG

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X