Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the HELL is all that crap?

For a marriage lasting only a bit over 6 years there shouldn't be any spousal support at all! The hell say no and let her bring this to court if she wants to. The onus would be on her side to convince the judge that she is entitle to that support. You can prove on your side that you did your share to help her to achieve that goal for the year you have paid but that is enough.

You gave her a year already, that's enough to settle an be self-sufficient. Is she young? Does she has health issues for not working? Does she has a degree? What kind of education? Experience? Did she and where she worked before? Have she had made any effort to find a job lately? (job search, interviews, letters of acknowledgment from employers, letters from employers confirming the status of the job following the interview)

You are self-represented as I did for my case. I said no to her asking 700$/month and I won my case for a 15 years of marriage.

STOP paying right now and show that you already help her enough.

Look at the following rules concerning short marriage. (less than 20 years) and the rule 65.

https://www.separation.ca/help-centr...e-spousal-sup/

https://hoflaw.com/spousal-support-m...s-of-20-years/

Build up your case with those information. Don't forget that after SS is ordered, it is a pain in the ass to have it reviewed later on and more pain in the ass to have it removed. Google on spousal support with key words and get as much as direction to justify your position just then. Look at the factors for long term marriage for comparison.

Do not rely only on the SSAG. Those are only a tool for a first point to start off.

https://justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/fl-l...g/toc-tdm.html

Remember that each case are unique and treated as case by case.

Most of the errors the poster will make is accepting the offer being proposed by the OP. Remember that the offer made by the lawyer of your ex-partner is to accommodate his client only. Not you. He doesn't work for you, he represent the other side only.

Comment

Originally posted by mafia007 View Post
      What the HELL is all that crap?

For a marriage lasting only a bit over 6 years there shouldn't be any spousal support at all! The hell say no and let her bring this to court if she wants to. The onus would be on her side to convince the judge that she is entitle to that support. You can prove on your side that you did your share to help her to achieve that goal for the year you have paid but that is enough.

You gave her a year already, that's enough to settle an be self-sufficient. Is she young? Does she has health issues for not working? Does she has a degree? What kind of education? Experience? Did she and where she worked before? Have she had made any effort to find a job lately? (job search, interviews, letters of acknowledgment from employers, letters from employers confirming the status of the job following the interview)

You are self-represented as I did for my case. I said no to her asking 700$/month and I won my case for a 15 years of marriage.

STOP paying right now and show that you already help her enough.

Look at the following rules concerning short marriage. (less than 20 years) and the rule 65.

https://www.separation.ca/help-centr...e-spousal-sup/

https://hoflaw.com/spousal-support-m...s-of-20-years/

Build up your case with those information. Don't forget that after SS is ordered, it is a pain in the ass to have it reviewed later on and more pain in the ass to have it removed. Google on spousal support with key words and get as much as direction to justify your position just then. Look at the factors for long term marriage for comparison.

Do not rely only on the SSAG. Those are only a tool for a first point to start off.

https://justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/fl-l...g/toc-tdm.html

Remember that each case are unique and treated as case by case.

Most of the errors the poster will make is accepting the offer being proposed by the OP. Remember that the offer made by the lawyer of your ex-partner is to accommodate his client only. Not you. He doesn't work for you, he represent the other side only.
      Just curious how you argued and won your case on SS for a marriage of 15 years. On a face value, 15 years looks like a slam dunk for SS receiver. That must have been a feat. Do you have thread on that?

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaparent View Post
        Just curious how you argued and won your case on SS for a marriage of 15 years. On a face value, 15 years looks like a slam dunk for SS receiver. That must have been a feat. Do you have thread on that?
        No i don't have a thread on that as I joined the forum only at the stage where i had a hard time to have access to my kids and my share of property.

Under 20 years is called a small marriage, so 15 it is. What everyone should know is that SS is not granted and if there is a good reason to challenge it, then it should as the payor might be stuck with this for life. The other thing, in court you can always ask the judge in the alternative it is ordered, to be temporary until she settle, reviewed in XX months, gradually reduced... anything to show that you are not willing to pay for the rest of your life.

My case was with children. The equation always put priority to CS and then SS. So basically, there was no other room for SS after CS was paid including all the other factors that make my ex-spouse to request 700$ a months an unreasonnable demand.

Accepting to pay SS out of a court order is pretty risky and might tigh you for long. Even though there is conditions. If you go that route, i would suggest you take your agreement you have settled with lawyers' advice and convert it into an order that you will request the Register of the Court to approve it by a judge. This way, the conditions you have advanced will be in concrete and hard for the other party to argue it in the future.

Comment

Good to know- What everyone should know is that SS is not granted When you say no other room for SS after CS was paid. I guess that is because your income, if any SS was ordered would have left you in disadvantage for meeting basic needs and or would have made your ex having significant more income than you? Was your ex working at all in the 15 years, did that play a role in your argument of no SS?

Comment

That's the thing. She had her own business at home and was deducting every expenses of the house to lower her income down from 40K to 13K. Did not make any sense and the godam SSAG was favouring her a good range of SS.

So I had to argue with the judge that the expenses she was deducting from her revenue were also expenses I was to pay from my net revenue for my own house. Also, a portion of the CS is suppose to go towards such expenses of her house to the benefit of the children. Adding several other arguments I had pointed previously helped me to win my case.

Just to say that you point something else very important. You must show that at the end, each of you are about or around the same financial level of leaving. If one is showing a disadvantage in meeting basic needs, the onus reside on their side to prove it.

Comment

Hi,

Through motion they have won and the court awarded her 1000$ and they are looking for review date in 2.6 years and I 'm looking at trial date which will be more or less the same date and I 'm looking for an end date . I have a son who is 6 years old. She is 30 years old when we split and She has done her CPA and worked as accountant and healthy but now she is now working for cash job to get more spousal support ranging from 3 to 14 years.

Regards

SSHAN

Comment

You're completely at a lost. Read my previous post and start compiling the facts. Build your case intelligently.

The more she could get (if entitle to which I still deny) is half the 6 years you were married. That is 3 years. The 2 to 14 years of SS is completely BS and irrational as a range.

She shouldn't get SS at 30, in good health condition, with a CPA degree, with work experience, a child of 6yo going to school....

Working under the table would need some proof. Just saying or speculation is no good. Have statistics of actual CPA working in similar areas with # of years. Seek help from job placement companies (EXCEL HR) and college/university rate of placement and salary.

GEEEEES i'm an accountant myself with no damn professionnal degree and I am swamped at work!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X