I think OP left a motion documentation at my door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think OP left a motion documentation at my door

Somebody knocked on my door an tried to hand me a bag that, I could see had some paper. I refused to take the bag. She left. I know this could be Notice of Motion. What should I do? Can I deny to have received the notice in the court? Should I pick up the bag left at my door step?

any help will be greatly appreciated.
    aa

What are you worried about? They will keep trying to serve you the documents. They started a case against you. If you don’t accept them and respond you may end up having a decision made against you.

Comment

Actually, the OP knows I am in the process of hiring a new attorney and I am on my own at this time. May be trying to intimidate me. What if I miss the court date? Should I pick up the bag at the door step? Is the notice consered "serve" just by leaving at the door?

Comment

They could drop it at your feet and I believe that is served.

You can request an adjournment until you get new counsel. Don’t just ignore the documents because you are trying to find a new lawyer.

Comment

just pick it up and deal with it. You can not avoid it forever.

Comment

The 'ol "I didn't read it so it doesn't count" defense.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              They could drop it at your feet and I believe that is served.
              This is correct.

The Affidavit of Service will demonstrate multiple attempts to locate you and serve this to you personally. Alternatively, they can leave a copy with any adult member who identifies to be part of the same household.

If they cannot successfully serve you, they can get a Motion for Substitute Service and the motions judge will basically say "send a registered copy" and consider that as served.

It may be better to accept service and request the adjournment until the change of counsel on record is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by t123 View Post
                Actually, the OP knows I am in the process of hiring a new attorney and I am on my own at this time. May be trying to intimidate me. What if I miss the court date? Should I pick up the bag at the door step? Is the notice consered "serve" just by leaving at the door?
                Oh- well, when you put it that way, she should DEFINITELY wait until you sort out your attorney situation. Do you have a vacation coming up? Maybe she'd be so kind as to wait until after that. Because I've heard getting court papers you were expecting is very intimidating. And I imagine very stressful.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X