Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrity dad stays in US to avoid $1M child support to first family in Canada

Kids in the Hall member Dave Foley claims he can?t afford a return to Canada

Discuss!

Celebrity Dad

Public Humiliation will be enough

Comment

The article says almost nothing of substance that would enable us to develop an opinion, but let's try. He complains that the award is "400%" of his income, so a $1 million award means he is earning about $250k per year. They divorced in 1997 and he found paying child and spousal support a strain. Reading between the lines, he stopped paying and this is what he now owes. The judge has ordered a repayment of arrears regardless of current income, so he has to start working again, poor guy.

I recongnize that the entertainment industry is going to have it's ups and downs, but if he changed jobs or was earning less he should have gone back to court years ago and sought a reduction, instead it appears he stopped paying. I say "appears", if he doesn't like the way this appears, then he could be more specific in his interview. But I think he has actually said enough.

Comment

The article also doesn't say anything about him visitting his kids but if they live here and he can't enter the country, it would be safe to assume I think that he doesn't see them at all.

IMO, as Mess said, he should have applied to have the amount reduced to reflect the changes in his income rather than hiding in the US, getting remarried and having another child.

Comment

Surely the Province of Ontario and the State of California have a reciprocating agreement whereby the respective enforcement agencies will cooperate to pre-empt his staying in Los Angeles to avoid paying support.

Comment

Interview with Dave where he talks very frankly about his marriage - it's long, the discussion around his marriage starts at 1:02:30 (1:20:09 begins the discussion on CS)

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast - Episode 146 - Dave Foley

keep in mind the website is called WTF so if you're easily offended, don't open it.

It's interesting because he says he was recently here in court to go over the child support, assuming he had a lawyer how the heck do they rule he pays more than what his earnings even are and his lawyer does nothing?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X