This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing

We have shared custody 50 50. I pay child support, should we split the cost of clothing ?

Shared custody. Do you pay the table amount for child support?
    Shared custody I thought ment that you supply what the child(ren) need with you and your ex does the same at their place.
    If you are paying support and the full amount that should be included in the child support. Those are items that are covered under support. It's the support needed for the child's everyday necessities.

Comment

I have a 2 year old daughter with shared custody (even 50/50 split).

I pay the net amount from the tables also.

So far, I've been buying the clothes for when I have custody, and my ex supplies the clothes for when she has custody. With 50/50 access, and with a child being so young, I think it's easier to just each purchase clothes. When she's older, and may start getting a suit case, and we'll have to split the purchases.

As for jackets, boots, etc. I purchased 2 winter jackets, and they rotate around. And, we both purchased the same amount of boots. With daycare, my parents and both our houses, the jackets do the round, and I find that you need 2 winter suits. One of the suit was 5$ at a garage sale, so not worth the hassle to make a fuss about it.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus if the clothing expenses in a shared custody arrangement should be split as per custody time, or per income (like extraordinary expenses). My prorated income is 70%, and custody is 50%, so I figured the extra 20% isn't worth making a fuss about.

Comment

In the case of 50/50 custody I think the easiest way is to just track all the expenses (perhaps with some okay needed for expensive ones), and then just share the cost equally. This is for all normal expenses that are not only associated with one house such as clothes, school trips, allowance, etc.

This is the most fair and SHOULD minimize any conflict and worries about who is spending more than the other.

WARNING - balance receipts frequently! I waited a year and a half to add up my part of shared expenses (only 90 things for 3 kids over 1.5 years is not much) and I spent a lot more than my ex and now she is balking at paying me the difference...so apparently sharing expenses is only fair if your ex is the one who is spending more
        Last edited by billm; 03-09-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Shared custody w/ full table amount of support: No
          Shared custody w/ offset table amounts of support: yes

There is your answer in a nutshell, at least from a legal standpoint. However, do what works. Every situation is different, the biggest question is whether the extra little bit of cost is worth making a fuss over.

On the flip side, (and this doesn't apply to your situation OP) if you are LESS than 50% access, and trying to make a case for an increase, definately buy your own stuff. (To put it plainly, if you want more access, act like you already have it)

Comment

Clothing costs should be shared even receivng offset CS?

Ive been receiving full CS for 4 years now and of course paid all costs for clothing but we are negotiating 50/50 shared time with 2 kids and so we will be using section 9 to come to an amount for child support. He makes way more than I so the offset will drop his payments about 30%. Under this scenario I am asking that we now split the cost of clothing 50/50 he buys what he needs for his home and I buy what I need. He is proposing that since he paid all his child support for the existing clothing that they be transported in suitcases every week and any new costs I should absorb.......so he's fighting that he pays nothing for clothing once he starts taking them 50% of the time and starts enjoying his reduction in CS.

Does anyone know if section 9 covers this topic.we were told by our trial management conference judge to use section 9 to calculate CS once he agrees to a date to start taking them shared time?

Comment

Section 9 takes into account "the increased costs of shared custody arrangements". There is not formula. Section 7 has a formula based on proportionate incomes of the parents.

The children presumably have at least 7-10 days worth of clothing? What will the split schedule be like? If it is week on/ week off, what harm does it do to you/them if they take a bag of clothes with them? If you have a shorter turnaround, what harm would it do if they split their clothing and keep half at the other parent's home?

Think about what it is you want to achieve here and how it is in their best interests? Do you have reasons for not wanting the clothing to travel with the children? Whose clothing is it? Is it your property or is it the childrens?

I don't want to be too harsh, you may have valid reasons, but you aren't stating them. If your kids are like mine they will wear out half their clothes before they grow out of them, and you are lucky if you get more than one or two seasons of use out of them. As they grow and the clothes wear out, the other parent will gradually replace their share, but I imagine right now purchasing an entire wardrobe seems like a waste to them, if the children will have a full wardrobe sitting unused at your house.

Comment

Split time is week on week off

The time is a week on week off once wee agree on a start month and I totally agree with the idea of letting the kids(it's their clothes) go back and forth with clothes. My X is extremely and I mean extremely CHEAP. I'm just trying to see if the consensus feels it is reasonable to ask going forward the required stuff that needs to be purchased be split 50/50. I need to get the wording into the agreement because it will not happen if it's not legal. The x won't even supply deodorant or moisturizer for the children, they have to have me purchase it and bring it with them on their current weekends soon to be split time. So as you can see I don't want to have to be the permanent supplier of everything for the x's time with the children shy of toilet paper the x supplies for the kids, that's about it. Anybody know of a standard i could reference to the x so it's understood that it's the "norm" that clothing and essentials get split in an offset situation of CS once we go 50/50 with time?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X