Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/index.php)
-   Financial Issues (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about health benefits (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17467)

Tracy B 04-29-2014 04:27 PM

Question about health benefits

I have been separated for almost three years, my (ex) husband and I done out own separation agreement, which went through court house. Question is, he has started a new job and now has informed me that I will no longer be on his health benefits (as he said the company doesn't allow this) can the company actually make this choice. In our agreement it only said divorce or cohabit. Not sure what to do, or if he is even telling the truth. Any advise?

FB_ 04-29-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy B (Post 169662)
I have been separated for almost three years, my (ex) husband and I done out own separation agreement, which went through court house. Question is, he has started a new job and now has informed me that I will no longer be on his health benefits (as he said the company doesn't allow this) can the company actually make this choice. In our agreement it only said divorce or cohabit. Not sure what to do, or if he is even telling the truth. Any advise?

He does NOT need to provide you with health benefits. His company can do anything they want with their benefit package.

Links17 04-29-2014 05:06 PM

My company also asked me to remove my ex while separated. Maybe you can try to support yourself rather then find a legal way to get support from your ex-husband.

standing on the sidelines 04-29-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

He probably is telling the truth on this. Its a new job. Its all up to the companies benefit policy. Do you know what insurance company the new company deals with. If you do then you could make a general inquiry to the insurance company asking what their policy is.

Serene 04-29-2014 07:44 PM

Your agreement says divorce or cohabit what? Your post is difficult to read....

Berner_Faith 04-29-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

I agree with the above posters...while there have been times where an ex spouse is ordered to keep the other spouse on their benefits, since this is a new job, the benefit company obviously doesn't allow non spouse's to be on the benefits.

Tracy B 04-29-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines (Post 169673)
He probably is telling the truth on this. Its a new job. Its all up to the companies benefit policy. Do you know what insurance company the new company deals with. If you do then you could make a general inquiry to the insurance company asking what their policy is.

No I have no clue what insurance company it would be.
Thank you for information.

HonestLawyer 04-29-2014 11:33 PM

Yes, your ex can be forced to keep you insured on the company group policy and the time frame (how long) should be defined in a settlement or separation agreement. An eligible spouse is either legally married or common law for 12 months. A court order/legal agreement, and you re-marry or are common law with someone else, he would have to insure one of them through a separate plan or individual policy. A judge could order your ex if he refuses.

Links17 04-29-2014 11:43 PM

Welcome to the forums but bad start
1. HonestLawyer <--- Isn't that a paradox?
2. ^ See #1 - you lied!
Just kidding (sort of ;) )

Tracy B 04-30-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestLawyer (Post 169725)
Yes, your ex can be forced to keep you insured on the company group policy and the time frame (how long) should be defined in a settlement or separation agreement. An eligible spouse is either legally married or common law for 12 months. A court order/legal agreement, and you re-marry or are common law with someone else, he would have to insure one of them through a separate plan or individual policy. A judge could order your ex if he refuses.

Now when I go to the courthouse to file, what would the legal document be to file??
Thank you for your help... Really appreciate!!