Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (
-   Divorce & Family Law (
-   -   Timely Submission of Documents, Or Not (

onandon 05-14-2019 05:02 PM

Timely Submission of Documents, Or Not
What is a reasonable time frame for an estranged spouse to provide financial details?

Background - husband left Ontario to live in BC (retired, not working, has income, has not applied for CPP) December of 2017. Wife remains in matrimonial home. Wife has provided financials, husband has not.

It is close to 18 months apart now. Husbands lawyer is unresponsive at best. I suspect his client is the real issue. Lawyer has a decent reputation.

Is it necessary to get a court order to force husband to comply? Would a judge normally assign costs incurred to get the non-compliant spouse to provide his information? What's a reasonable time frame before going to court?

This is not a complicated situation, he could provide everything required in less than a day if he made an effort.

rockscan 05-14-2019 05:17 PM

Have you filed an application? Normally you file and their response has the financial information in it.

onandon 05-14-2019 05:31 PM

No, the lawyer has not filed yet. I am not sure why.

tilt 05-15-2019 01:22 AM

If you have been separated 18 months, have recieved little communication from your ex, and YOUR lawyer has not filed an application than I would say you need a new lawyer; if you are waiting for your exís lawyer to file, stop waiting and be an advocate for yourself. Self-repping is (relatively) easy and you can go far without incurring legal fees, unless you are uncomfortable advocating for yourself. The court system expects you to do all the heavy lifting in looking out for your Rights. Until you file an Application your ex does not have any reason to do what you ask (forget Court Ordeere and Costs, you are a loooong way away from any of that if you havenít even started the process legally).

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.