Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (
-   Financial Issues (
-   -   MEP and Section 7 (

Tandem80 11-05-2017 10:55 AM

MEP and Section 7
Can MEP enforce Section 7 in regards to a set budget for kids extracurricular activities?

Let's say instead of us having to notify and obtain consent for these expenses we agree to set a budget of $1000 per child per year for these expenses (including the equipment for said activity) Shared in proportion. How would MEP know that each child has reached their budget limit. And that I have paid my share of the maximum budget?

I am wondering because I may consider registering myself with maintenance so they can take care of the recalculation of support...that way if she has a problem she can take it up with them.

I want to pay support based on prior years income. Originally we have been doing a 3 yr average as my income fluctuates ~$20,000 from year to year. I'm sure she will be fine with the increase but not the decrease.

Beachnana 11-05-2017 10:58 AM

I think only the recipient can register with MEP. Why not just give her the $1000 on January 1 and thatís it for the year.

Tandem80 11-05-2017 11:09 AM

I've considered that but I want the receipts as proof of expense so I can also document that I have paid my share. EVERYTHING must be documented with my ex. Also, I don't foresee that each child will use up the $1000 budget per year.

I am open to suggestions to make this easier on the both of us.

arabian 11-05-2017 11:32 AM

Either party can register with MEP.

If you are in Alberta go to the MEP Website. There are examples somewhere of Orders they will and will not enforce.

Tandem80 11-05-2017 11:45 AM

I did check out MEP and it seems to me they can only enforce if the extracurricular expense is specifically, hockey, dance. Kids can change their minds easily so that's why we offered a budget that can be used for any activity.

I suppose we can handle the section 7 outside of MEP and just register for the Alberta recalculation program.

Beachnana 11-05-2017 12:56 PM

Send her a traceab,e $1000 per kid on January 1. A cheque or a money order. Then if she wants more than a $1000 per annual she will need to give you proof -receipts etc to show she has paid it.

Itís a $1000 each. So $2k a year. Honestly itís not worth the hassle and money to get it all set up.

Tandem80 11-05-2017 01:09 PM

There's 3 children. $3000 a year. And I won't pay any more than that as we set a maximum budget due to her not wanting to ask for consent or tell me about any expenses ahead of time.

I could give her the money upfront and she will have to provide receipts for the expenses. If she doesn't use the allotted amount by the end of the year it will roll into the next?

rockscan 11-05-2017 02:11 PM

I wouldnt agree to a set amount. What happens when kids dont want to do anything? Free money. What if she gets a tax break or subsidy? Free money.

Dont do it. Have it in your agreement that you will pay x% of net cost of expense upon written permission. MEP should be able to figure it out and if they canít your ex can submit her calculated amount with proof.

If everything has to be proven with your ex why on earth would you agree to hand over three grand a year?

Tandem80 11-05-2017 02:21 PM

The reason why I am setting a set budget is because she refuses to ask for consent or contribution prior to any expense. She then says I have unreasonabley refused to pay for any. Our order says that any and all expenses must be given consent for contribution. So due to this uphill battle of trying to get her to stick to the agreement...and her claiming I refuse to pay for any expenses, I offered a max budget per child per year. No consent required. However, Receipts have to be sent to me by email and I will then reimburse my share up to the max budget per year. If she didn't use the whole budget then there will be no contribution on my behalf and vis versa.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.