Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/index.php)
-   Divorce Support (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   help wife left us (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23729)

bj42 09-24-2021 11:30 PM

help wife left us

hi looking for some help i have old jeep which i have had before i got married
now going through seperation can ex show interest in my jeep

rockscan 09-25-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj42 (Post 247533)
hi looking for some help i have old jeep which i have had before i got married
now going through seperation can ex show interest in my jeep

If it was an asset when it came into the marriage and you had it at separation then yes. The only difference is the value. And it will be shown on the financial statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piggybanktoex 09-25-2021 02:41 PM

When ex-to-be mentioned my classic car, I asked about her jewelry. End of discussion.

bj42 09-25-2021 11:30 PM

thanks eveyone just going through tuff times

Tayken 09-28-2021 09:58 AM

Judges care not about minor assets like this. Its petty BS that they don't typically deal with. As well, it will cost you 10x the value of the "asset" to fight over them in court.

Brampton33 09-28-2021 11:01 AM

I wish I knew all the info I have now back when I was first separating. My wife and I were in the process of separating and she acted first. She emptied the house of all furniture and started the court case.

She knew very well that if she took a hard position to not be flexible, it would cost me more in legal fees than the worth of the furniture. So now in my late 30s I have the household belongings of an 18 year old off at university.

Moreover, she learned that only 2% of cases actually go to trial. So she acted like an uncompromising bully throughout our court battle, racking up my legal costs and holding out for as long as possible. Yet my lawyer kept telling me to play nice and take high road, just in case we ended up at trial.

bj42 09-29-2021 12:06 AM

what should i do

pinkHouses 10-20-2021 03:45 PM

When you fill out your assets list the jeep twice:
What it was worth before the marriage.
What it was worth after the marriage.
That will net you a bit of the depreciation.

You own the Jeep she is not entitled to it unless she buys it from you.

Kkc 11-02-2021 12:47 PM

similar thing here

her position was my comic book collection is worth a fortune

My position, this is petty and if you want to do that, I will ask your designer bags and jewellery be treated the same. This was 2 years ago

She insisted.

It just so happens that I was very meticulous in my inventory and found a list of books that I had on date of marriage and date of separation. I was able to pull a list of books purchased during marriage. Local comic book dealer, evaluated the effective increased in my collection at only $4 000.

I knew she would not be bothered to do her part of the deal, so I did it for her through eBay listings for prices..her shit $18k.

2 years later she produces a list on a piece of paper with random values for her items.

The whole thing was silly but for me it is an example of demanding something and when things don't go your way to complain about it.

I would have honestly been fine not even bothering, but too late for her

Brampton33 11-02-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kkc (Post 247933)
I would have honestly been fine not even bothering, but too late for her

And when your ex discovered that she would have to pay you $X, she could easily play aloof or stubborn and negotiate for hours with your lawyer on the matter to drive up your legal costs to the point you let the matter go to stop the bleeding.

Family Law and Court is a huge joke.