Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just an odd question (https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22759)

cranberry 10-01-2019 05:51 PM

Just an odd question

Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.

iona6656 10-01-2019 06:15 PM

That's weird.

Some people get weirdly close to their family lawyer. I don't get that. This is person is profiting off your misery.

iona6656 10-01-2019 06:16 PM

But wait- if your kids were there- why would the lawyer be there? That's all kinds of wrong. You know- keeping the conflict separate, etc etc etc.

standing on the sidelines 10-01-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranberry (Post 238533)
Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.

Its a bit odd. Its even more odd that the lawyer would do that.

cranberry 10-01-2019 06:57 PM

Thanks folks! I guess I was checking to make sure that I wasn't off my rocker 😉 you can bet that I am concerned our boys will be present. We reached a settlement on Friday and he was definitely not happy with it. Neither am I but its about the kids, not me. Maybe its a thank you dinner? I will never know (I hope), just glad to see your comments.

mcdreamy 10-01-2019 09:58 PM

? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.

Stillbreathing 10-01-2019 10:41 PM

Not a smart thing to do. If you go back to court for whatever reason and have to go to trial his lawyer can be called as a witness. My ex’s and mine attended at our farm when ex was removing a piece of furniture that belonged to his mom. The judge had ordered that both lawyers attend. My lawyer was pissed as she said that if it went to trial both lawyers could now be called as witnesses and therefor could no longer represent either one of us.

Janus 10-01-2019 10:48 PM

I once asked if I could bring my kids to the lobby for a meeting with the lawyer (babysitter fell through) and she told me in no uncertain terms that the kids were not to enter the building if I wanted to keep her as a lawyer.

In retrospect, I get her point :)

Berner_Faith 10-01-2019 11:16 PM

I guess it all depends... I mean I’ve dealt with investors and life insurance brokers who come to our house so we don’t have to lug kids to their offices, when we were looking at houses to purchase our realtor came to our place many times to discuss business... there are many professionals who do “house calls”... over the years we’ve become friends with the guy we invest with and our broker for life insurance... it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iona6656 10-02-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdreamy (Post 238543)
? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.

I've made friends with clients too. But I think family law is different. I'd liken it more to a doctor/patient relationship. There needs to be really clear professional boundaries.