Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Daughter's Welfare: Much Needed Advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daughter's Welfare: Much Needed Advice?

I have returned to this board to plead for advice.

My situation is quite complex. I have a 5 year old daughter and the mother and I have been separated since 2004. I do not have joint custody, only access. There are other issues involved with my current situation that make it damn near impossible to divine exactly what I should be doing. I am concerned for my daughter's care at the moment, and while I don't believe she is in any serious danger of physical harm, I sincerely believe the environment in which she lives is not healthy or stable, and there is no reason to believe it will be in the future.

I will try to be brief, but it's very difficult.

- Ex-wife left Ontario with my daughter in September 05 with new boyfriend without my approval. I was not knowledgeable enough of my rights at the time to prevent them.
    - in late October 05, ex and BF got into physical altercation, resulting in my daughter being removed from home to foster care.
    - ex told me she wanted me to have custody, she couldn't handle it.
    - I proceeded to set things in motion on my own without attorney.
    - ex revoked her wish for me to have custody. broke off contact with ex.
    - i continued to proceed since I still had issues about her abilities to care for daughter.
    - 45-day foster care order issued by BC court for daughter, Nov. 10.
    - I first proceeded without a lawyer, but eventually hired one, and a few months later, ordering my daughter released to me immediately.
    - After traveling to BC to meet with them on Dec 20. foster care agency contacted by their lawyers informing them that Ontario court overturned my Dec. 9 order based on daughter's residency being long enough to transfer jurisdiction to BC court. Also cited my failure to prevent them from leaving beforehand as tacit approval of move.
    - my lawyer advised me it was now a BC matter and he was powerless to represent me, suggested i contact legal aid BC
    - legal aid BC took my application on Dec. 20, but later informed me I had to apply in Ontario since I was resident there, and then have it transfered. I was already turned down by ontario legal aid previously.

That was my first tussle with them. Since then, the situation has not improved.

- Ex and boyfriend relocated to Newfoundland in 2006, and eventually got married. Situation between myself and ex calmed, and she allowed me to visit drew on several occasions when finances allowed.
    - In July 2008, ex's new husband abandoned them, later citing he could not handle living with her due to her continued mental issues. There had been continuous allegations of spousal abuse from both of them throughout their relationship.
    - Ex once again expressed a desire to give me custody of my child. once again, I set things in motion. Three days later, she once again retracted it.
    - On my last visit to see my daughter for her July birthday, my ex was clearly incapable of functioning. She was often seen sobbing loudly, hermitizing herself in her room, and displaying severe mood swings. At one point, she displayed vocal aggression toward me regarding a relatively ineffectual issue and forbade me from seeing Drew for the remainder of my trip. I was forced to inform the local CAS in order to report the situation at the home which I had witnessed first hand. Unfortunately, nothing serious was ever done by the agency and I was unable to get action on this before I departed the province or upon my return home.

Throughout all of this, my primary concern has been for my daughter's best situation. My ex continues to display and admit to her incapability to properly care for our daughter -- even posting several videos on YouTube announcing this. Here is one: YouTube - I give up. Apart from this, I have been keeping exhaustive records of court proceedings, emails, IM conversations, anything that documents the quality of life at my daughters home. I simply am out of options as to what to do with it all, or whom to give it too.

Many of my friends and family believe that the best situation would be for her to be in my custody and return to Ontario. The problem is that there is an inter-provincial aspect to this entire thing that I have not been able to overcome. Although the original custody order was in Ontario, it was overturned by a BC court. To my knowledge there is no court file in Newfoundland.

My ex, seen in the video, has displayed willingness to put our child in foster care until she 'gets herself right', and also to make arrangements to live with me. Having heard this song twice before, I believe it not one bit. My biggest fear is that the moment I make any move toward anything that denigrates her, she will pull the carpet out from beneath me again -- of this I am sure. At that point, she will cut me off (from visits, daily phone calls, etc.) from my child, and my only option will be to win, or lose contact, it seems.

I cannot afford a lawyer without borrowing large sums of money from other sources, which are not really available either in my current situation. Legal Aid will not speak to me, since I work, but fall into that netherworld where I don't qualify, but also cannot afford representation on my own. Even so, any lawyer I do hire would, it seems, have to be resident in the same province as the child, which makes everything more complicated. I cannot relocate there to pursue this due to my current job, which I would need to prove that I'm a reliable caregiver and win the case.

I am being pressured by many of my friends and family to 'move hell or high water' in order to get my child out of there. I have even been offered moral support by her ex-husband, and her own mother, when she was alive, who also helped out with the legal fees in my BC campaign. But, quite frankly, none of these people have any real clue as to how to overcome my current obstacles.

So I turn to you. I feel overwhelmed, powerless, confused, beaten and guilty about how my child may be affected in ways that I am not aware of with my current level of contact. What can I do? What is the best and quickest way to ensure her proper care? I have been told by legal advisers and people in the know that the odds are stacked against me, because I'm a white male, and therefore regarded as evil, and the only way to achieve custody is to throw gobs of money at it and wait several years.

I need to know this isn't the case. And if it truly is, then I need to learn a way to go around it or plow through it, or otherwise take action to ensure my child is in a safe and nurturing situation, whatever that may be.

I thank you all in advance for your attention.

I am just sending you hugs to let you know you've been heard. I'm sure some of our more learned members will be along soon to help. Good luck.

Comment

hugs are appreciated and needed. thx

Comment

There is no quick and cheap fix to this mess. My layman's advice is that your family is right. Move out there and get close to your daugther. It sounds like she not only needs your presence but your protection. You have to make some serious sacrifices to salvage this.

Comment

Good God...
          I checked out the youtube link and also saw the one titled I want to die.
          I fear for your daughter. Can you not show these videos to a Child Protection Agency?? Find a name of one in your ex's town and email them these links with her address. Hopefully that would get the ball rolling. I also agree with the other poster. Move out there and take over your daughters care and have your ex committed.
          Praying for you.

Comment

I am going to give you some advise from a different angle, and a different standpoint, realizing the difficulties you are enduring. This "U Tube" video is a cry for help. Now, by the sounds of it, your relationship with your child's mother is not good. But perhaps you should start at the seed to get to the flower. Seemingly, removing a child from the mother IS difficult. More so because of provinicial laws. A kind solution would be to make a visit, or even a phone call. Not to your daughter, but to your ex, for your daughter, to express support. Kind words of encouragement and support may go much further and thus impact your daughters situation at home. Start slowly, expressing interest in your ex, and her well being. The point here, is that if all else fails, look at the bigger picture. And that being that your daughter needs a safe, happy, and healthy home. Ease into a discussion regarding your daughter, and try to make arrangements on an agreeable basis, to help more with the parenting. Ask friends and family to rally around your ex, for support, be on her side rather than on an opposing side. I mean...you DO have something in common...a 5 year old child that needs you both. The other factor of this to consider is that, should she seriously be suffering from depression (sounds like) or anything else that could affect her ability to parent, you will have a better chance of identifying it. The courts are more likely to grant requests from either parent when they truly see that both parties are working in the best interests of the child, and not just against one another. This would be a sure sign that you are thinking that way. Its free to shed some positivity on your ex, and it may have the impact on your daughters quality of living that you are seeking. Best of luck, and you sound like an great father!

Comment

good advice from KLD. Sometimes you have to look at different ways to solve a problem. It seems like your ex needs to be handled with kid gloves and maybe that would be better then a bull in a china shop approach. No one says you have to get back with ex but at one time you did love her, so try and remember that and give her the support and understanding that you would give anyone that you cared about. If she feels that someone is on her side she may be more open to working out a mutual agreement. Face it, if she knew her family was siding with you then that would be totally devestating to her. If your daughter went through what your ex is going through would you side with your daughters ex no matter how your daughter acted?? Something to think about

Comment

Or you could consider KLD's contrasting advice to the woman at http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-what-do-3838/.
                Last edited by dadtotheend; 01-10-2009, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                  Or you could consider KLD's contrasting advice to the woman at http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-what-do-3838/.

Like my respose to your other post. One situation dealt with no kids just getting away from a bad guy. In this instance the guy wants to see his child and wanted advice on how to go about that. You are comparing apples to oranges and I think that KLD gave good advice in both posts

Comment

Absolutely not.

The five year old child is at risk and is being cared for by an emotionally unstable parent who has had the child removed from her care, moved the child from coast to coast, is unable to leave the house, cannot form a consistent opinion as to her own ability to care for the child, doesn't feed the child properly, and is at times suicidal.

AND DAD IS SUPPOSED TO GENTLY CODDLE HER IN THE HOPES THAT SHE CAN PULL IT TOGETHER?!?! HE'S NOT EQUIPPED TO DEAL WITH THESE PROBLEMS, SHE NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP AS SHE'S MENTALLY ILL RIGHT NOW, AND CAN'T DECIDE WHAT'S BEST FOR HERSELF, LET ALONE THE CHILD, FROM MINUTE TO MINUTE.

Dad needs to get down there yesterday and intervene. Mom needs to seek professional help so she can stabilize herself and be the parent that the child deserves. This situation is every bit as urgent as the other one, if not more so given the fact that a helpless child is involved and the father is thousands of miles away. At least in the other case, the woman can get out on her own.

I wouldn't be drawing this comparison if the advice that KLD gave wasn't so out of step with the extreme advice offered elsewhere. Can't help but wonder what KLD would have advised here if the genders were reversed.
                    Last edited by dadtotheend; 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I stand by my post. Apples and oranges. One case involves a child one does not. One involves a case with separated couple, one involves a case where the woman is looking to get out.

Please do not yell, you do not have to agree with me but I do not deserve to be yelled at.

Comment

Yes and the case involving the helpless child seems to be attracting a "wishing on a star and it will resolve itself" approach by some while the case involving the adult seems to require emergency intervention in spite of the adult's ability to care for herself. Have you seen any of those videos?

Please don't misinterpret my attempt to draw attention to an urgent matter as yelling at you.
                        Last edited by dadtotheend; 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

DTTE, please don't be so tainted as to assume I am in favor of "gender law". Not whatsoever. These two situations are completely different. There is no parallel. You must understand the difficulties this man is facing with costs, juristictions and odds. He has laid it out. Read it again. And please, I am case specific on my advice. In the other forum, there are no children, no one to hurt but oneself (and gravely) by staying. It should and can be handled quickly and directly. But this case here, it is so sensitive. I am hearing that this man has been knocking on doors for years. I, like everyone else, could most certainly tell him - "get a lawyer, call child services, she is crazy and unstable, the child is living in an unfit home" and I couldn't agree more on all these options. But remember the obstacles - and he knows all these things. Thats preaching to the choir. Aren't we all here to get to those solutions that may work, but that we, ourselfs, may not have thought on....? Best of luck pemachine. My prayers to you and your daughter for a safe solution.

Comment

Originally posted by KLD View Post
                            DTTE, please don't be so tainted as to assume I am in favor of "gender law". Not whatsoever. These two situations are completely different. There is no parallel. You must understand the difficulties this man is facing with costs, juristictions and odds. He has laid it out. Read it again. And please, I am case specific on my advice. In the other forum, there are no children, no one to hurt but oneself (and gravely) by staying. It should and can be handled quickly and directly. But this case here, it is so sensitive. I am hearing that this man has been knocking on doors for years. I, like everyone else, could most certainly tell him - "get a lawyer, call child services, she is crazy and unstable, the child is living in an unfit home" and I couldn't agree more on all these options. But remember the obstacles - and he knows all these things. Thats preaching to the choir. Aren't we all here to get to those solutions that may work, but that we, ourselfs, may not have thought on....? Best of luck pemachine. My prayers to you and your daughter for a safe solution.
                            Blah blah blah, the child is at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                              Blah blah blah, the child is at risk.
                              Perfect reply

I have limited exposure to such situations but after watching the youtube video, I can't imagine a more pressing situation that needs to be dealt with immediatley and that a parent, the father in this case, has the primary responsibility to make something happen. Now.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X