This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex moved with kids and didn't tell me where

In brief... Divorced, joint custody of 2 kids, I have every second weekend.
    Yesterday my ex moved with the kids and didn't tell me where their new residence is. I know the town but was not told and address. My youngest kind of let it slip during one of his "unscheduled" visits but he was afraid to tell me where the house is. What can I do? She must obviously be in contempt of our custody agreement, heck I even would consider it kidnapping even though I only get every second weekend.

The key word is that you have Joint Custody of your children.

As a parent of your children, you have every right in the world to know their address when they are in the care and charge of the other parent and vice versa.

Comment

Moving like that and not informing you of the details is reprehensible.

It's probably no coincidence that this move occurred only days, if not hours, before school starts. It would seem that the kids are now attending different schools if they are in a different town.

Unless you do something NOW, a custodial status quo will emerge that you may not like, to say nothing of the barriers this creates to your access.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
        Moving like that and not informing you of the details is reprehensible.

It's probably no coincidence that this move occurred only days, if not hours, before school starts. It would seem that the kids are now attending different schools if they are in a different town.

Unless you do something NOW, a custodial status quo will emerge that you may not like, to say nothing of the barriers this creates to your access.
        Agreed! It also appears that the other parent is attempting to engineer discord and no doubt the matter will go back to court due to the material change of circumstance and one parent not honouring the respection Joint Custody regime.

Attempt communication and if not resolved, you have no other option than to proceed with the court's assitance.

Comment

If I were you, I would bring an emergency motion to bring the kids back to my care and to the school the kids used to go. There are very good chances that you will get sole custody of your children, at least temporarily, until the matter is resolved.

Comment

dg, what she has done will not look good for her in the court's eyes. If you know the town, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where she has moved them too, even if it means finding their school first.

I remember you. I thought your oldest lived with you? Were you able to take them to Florida? I know you got the paperwork you needed, but stuff happens. Your ex sounds very vindictive, sounds familiar.

Comment

Not sure I agree with everyones take....what were the circumstances of the divorce? My ex has a restraining order in place, so to divulge any addresses would not be in my best interests. I was in the same situation, and did the same thing. I have custody of the kids and he doesn't know the address. His visits are not interupted, although he does NOT have joint custody. And I would never deny him access to his kids....it just has to be arranged through an access center.

Comment

Originally posted by roxy3978 View Post
                Not sure I agree with everyones take....what were the circumstances of the divorce? My ex has a restraining order in place, so to divulge any addresses would not be in my best interests.
                It's quite a leap to assume that those extreme cirumstances are present here. Of course, it would also be a gross omission to describe this case and leave it out if they were present.

I too wondered about what the circumstances were that caused Mom to move away like she did, but we have to give the benefit of the doubt and offer advice on the face of the described problem rather than project our experiences into the facts given.

Based only on what is described i.e. joint custody and Mom moves away as described, there can be no doubt that Mom acted in extremely bad faith, and against the best interests of the children.

Comment

Yes, sorry to be the bearer of the news...lol. Of course all things being equal, mom was TOTALLY at fault. She is not thinking of the children at all, just trying to satisfy her own interests. I apologize for being the sceptic. I am just trying to understand why someone would do that to her kids and her ex. No matter what happened, the children need time with their father and mother equally. Thats the whole premise of joint custody. Please accept my apology if I offended anyone.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X