Lawyer in Kingston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer in Kingston

Hi: been awhile since I've been here but thought I would give this a shot. I'm in need of a good family lawyer in the Kingston area. I don't live here but will be pursuing grandparents' rights. I don't know of any lawyers and thought I would see what comes my way for recommendations. I think anyone suggesting a lawyer would be better than picking one out of the yellow pages. Anyone ?

I don't have a lawyer's name for you but I highly recommend you search Canlii for cases pertaining to Grandparent's rights. I'm not sure what you're fighting for but you have a HUGE uphill battle. Courts will usually give priority to the parent's rights.

Comment

thanks so much ! It is a battle indeed but there have been two readings with the gov't (bill 67) and waiting for the third reading. This is very good news for grandparents. I'm trying to navigate my way thru CanLi but it's not the easiest site to visit. Thanks again.

Comment

Just would like to give an update here, since some posters were extremely helpful. The parents have "settled" and in the Minutes of Settlement, the judge has stated that the father "shall support & encourage a relationship between the child and us(grandparents). It states that we shall have access as agreed upon by the parties......and 14 days in advance notice of same.
        This was wonderful to us ! Ya, unfortunately he will not respond to our text messages about visiting. . Who knows what he is thinking. Sooooo, we will leave a total of 3 messages and then I guess, file for contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by selectivedi View Post
          Just would like to give an update here, since some posters were extremely helpful. The parents have "settled" and in the Minutes of Settlement, the judge has stated that the father "shall support & encourage a relationship between the child and us(grandparents). It states that we shall have access as agreed upon by the parties......and 14 days in advance notice of same.
          This was wonderful to us ! Ya, unfortunately he will not respond to our text messages about visiting. . Who knows what he is thinking. Sooooo, we will leave a total of 3 messages and then I guess, file for contempt.
          What you agreed to is not really enforceable. Therefore you can't file contempt.

"as "agreed" upon" They didn't agree therefore no contempt. You need a better agreement.

Comment

Are you a party to the case? If not, then you can't file anything I don't think (someone correct me please). Only the parties can file.

Is the father your son? Or is the mother your daughter? Doesn't sound like you are related to the father....

And it's says "the father shall encourage..." and yet "the parties need to agree"? Why singular in encouraging and plural in agreeing?

And why isn't the mother piping up if the father is honoring the clause? Why can't you see the grandchild(ren) when they are with the mom? (I'm assuming she has access to them as well since she is one of the parties that must agree to your access 14 days in advance).

Comment

Yikes and I thought this would be cut & dry. You've given me something to think about and obviously I'm not too familiar with the courts. Mother is my daughter......right now she has visits every other weekend and he has suddenly stopped visits/phone calls. We are named in these minutes and both have signed agreeing. So now I'm confused as ever. I'll call a lawyer to see if it's enforceable then. Thanks all !!!!

Comment

oh my! FB...this agreement was between the parents and it was stated that us grandparents can have vists...both parents agreed in these minutes. @ Serene.....we are named in these Minutes and it's precise as to our visitation...does that not make us parties ? Daughter put this statement in the Minutes for us to visit and he agreed to the terms. They both agreed to this by signing. This settlement was agreed upon in order to avoid a trial. So we really are perpelexed now as to if we may file a motion of contempt or not. We won't get to a lawyer until mid June and I hate being ill informed......trying to read whatever I can on this. Had no idea it would be this ugly and complex.

Comment

they signed it, you didn't. I would think that it would be up to your daughter to try and enforce it.

Comment

@ standing on the sidelines................she is.

Comment

Originally posted by selectivedi View Post
                      @ standing on the sidelines................she is.
                      ahh I see. They way you were posting it made it seem like you yourself wanted to bring a motion. You cant but she can hopefully do something legally.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X