This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Helicopter Parenting"

An interesting Topic. AM640 Talk Radio discussed it at length today as well.

Here are 2 links on the style of parenting known as "Helicopter Parenting."

Helicopter Parents: The Backlash Against Overparenting - TIME

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent

Are you, or do you know parents that fit this description?
    Last edited by hadenough; 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM.

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
    Are you, or do you know parents that fit this description?
    In front of the court, everyone is a helicopter parent, and the opponent is a neglectful sloth

Comment

But, but, but - Helicopter Parents get a lot of criticism. Constantly hovering over their kids, even their adult 'kids' - the inference is that kids are not being raised to become independent young adults.

Comment

Going to be honest... I didn't really read the links... I see it on almost a daily basis... family friends have one daughter together and the father has another from a previous marriage... the other in this relationship is the WORST helicopter parent I have ever known... she carried her daughter everywhere until she was 3 years old... the only reason she stopped was because the Dr. told her she could no longer carry that weight. She does not let her daughter out of her site... AT ALL... she will hover over her daughter before she will socialize with adults at a get together...

While the other kids are playing games, this little girl sits and whines to her Mom... in fact... as I type this 6 kids are playing tag... this little girl just got "it", she ran after everyone for 5 seconds and is now pouting on a chair and crying "I can't catch anyone"... and guess what... Mom came running and took her away...

Personally when I was younger, I scrapped my knee, I got bruises, I had other adults tell me what to do, I played normal kid games and I survived... I understand things have changed and kids are no longer safe walking down the street, but the helicopter parents are causing their children a lot more harm then they are protection.

Comment

On AM640 it was clearly both moms and dads who embraced this parenting style. Adult kids coming home with their laundry, parents micro-managing their kids banking, spending etc. It was interesting. I'd never heard the term before. According to the links I posted, the term has been in use for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
            Adult kids coming home with their laundry
            Adult "kids" hitting up their parents for court ordered support and university costs...

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
              Moms are sure guilty of that with their daughters......mostly

Giving them everything they ask, trying to be friends with their daughters instead of parents, and perhaps neglecting the "talk" about trying to make your own money and don't expect it to be given to you

I would like to beg to differ on this point. I am a mother. I do not give my daughter everything she asks for. There is a difference between a "want" and a "need". She understands the difference.

I am first and foremost her mother, and then her friend. I instill in her responsibility, and also teach her the value of money earned and to be frugal and not wasteful. She ran her own "business" to help raise money for 2 charitable causes and donated 100% of it (World Vision and also to the Tsunami victims in Japan), walked 5Km and raised money for the "Fight Against Poverty" and she visits the elderly and is active in our community etc.

Make her know the difference between right and wrong - absolutely.
              Proud of her - you bet I am.
              Will I be there at her side if needed - You bet I will.
              We are all here to be guardians and keepers of our children and to give them the best possible opportunities.

She is only 10 years old and has learnt to be a caring child and yes, she's still a kid who doesn't tidy up her room like I would like her too...(that's a work in constant progress) :-)

I don't hover.
              I give her wings to fly and soar like an eagle and to rise above troubles (which comes in all our lives) A lot nicer with a better view....and doesn't cost $$ to put gas into it !

Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                Moms are sure guilty of that with their daughters......mostly

Giving them everything they ask, trying to be friends with their daughters instead of parents, and perhaps neglecting the "talk" about trying to make your own money and don't expect it to be given to you
                I haven't really had a problem with much you've said on this site up until this.

You think "MOMS" are more prone to this than a DAD would be?
                Hmm.

I think your emotions cloud your judgement, if that's what you really believe.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                  I haven't really had a problem with much you've said on this site up until this.

You think "MOMS" are more prone to this than a DAD would be?
                  Hmm.

I think your emotions cloud your judgement, if that's what you really believe.

Otis,

If you review all of the posts by that poster you will see that in the majority he expresses distain for women in general.

If his posts are ever found and linked to him, he will have great difficulty proving otherwise unless he begins to be more cautious as to how he formulates his posts. A word of caution only to the member in question.

Comment

Otis: ditto to what OhMy said. Oink takes absolutely every opportunity to seethe hatred and contempt for women, of all ages (including young teens).

Comment

As for the thread; Helicopter parenting is a common tactic of litigation parties when there are no grounds or other issues.

It's often utilized as a 'finger pointing' comment by lawyers. To prove it, substantial evidence from credible witnesses would be required.

It does happen though and is a valid issue for some families.

Comment

I'm definitely not a helicopter parent, nor the opposite. Know of a helicopter parent or two... not good.

I definitely don't think it is an inherently gender-related phenomenon. There are good parents and bad parents - male or female.

I say hurrah to all good parents out there; all the people who are trying to heal, be healthy and whole so that they can guide their kids, enjoy their lives.

Comment

[QUOTE=oink;127567]Moms are sure guilty of that with their daughters......mostly

/QUOTE]

Yes if it's female - it's guilty (Oinkspeak)

Comment

I was very proud of my seventeen year old daughter the other day. I had her over for dinner, put some music on, and started to cook. She asked if she could help (didn't need it, but nice to be asked) and later asked to do the dishes.

I've seen helicopter parents and I've seen the opposite, and the truth is best parenting is somewhere in the middle, and depends on the age and the charceter of the child.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X