X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60-80 for me...

Comment

Good weeks 40, bad weeks 90+

Fortunately, bad weeks are fewer and farther between lately....

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

You think working an office job is easier than a labour job? I work 60 - 90, on average, per week, as a freelancer, so in separate law offices and from my home office. It ain't easy. In fact, I'm working right now, at 11 pm on a Sunday night, to prepare for tomorrow.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by iceberg View Post
          Maybe you work easy jobs
          HA ! Definitely not...this doesn't include travel time, travelling to various client / different client sites with little to no notice, no paid overtime with no notice at clients demands, weekends/evenings at client demands...

Comment

On a good week I work 20 hours, but I have worked 80 plus before. As I am on salary, of course I prefer the 20!

Comment

I work 40 hours + a week at my day job.

I work 24hrs a day as a parent:

chauffer for kids to and from daycare, as well as any play dates as we live in the country not to mention doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, trips to hospital for serious stuff,

event planning for parties both the ones for my kids as well as those for their friends that they have been invited too, including shopping for gifts,

nurse for all the scrapes and cuts they get,

teacher helping with homework (during school),

cook to prepare all meals and lunches for school and work,

housekeeper to clean the house (dishes, bathrooms, floors, laundry, and everything else that needs to be done)

All this to say, for most of us, our jobs are 24/7

Ang

Comment

AngieJ,

I agree with you. I am also a full-time custodial parent and, when I am not working with my job, I am 24/7 as a housekeeper, chauffeur, bookkeeper, chef, mediator and so on.

I think the PVR has over 10 hours of my favourite shows that I just don't have time to watch. Good job I hate watching sports!

Their mother is taking the kids for two days this year. I guess that is my parental vacation!

Comment

I do think office job in most cases is easier. Both jobs have advantage and disadvantage but in office you can help time go faster by surfing the internet, music, etc. In the shop I just work with metal.

Oh well, if I didn't need the money I would go back to school. If you like your job your life is happier but if u work ONLY because you have to, it can be more stressful than normally
                  I disagree - your work is physically tiring, 'office' work is mentally tiring. Personally I'd rather be physically tired And surfing the web doesn't make the job go faster - it makes the day go SO SLOW. I'd rather be busy with work than be surfing the web any day. In fact, today would be good.

Comment

I do think office job in most cases is easier. Both jobs have advantage and disadvantage but in office you can help time go faster by surfing the internet, music, etc. In the shop I just work with metal.
                    Heh heh heh heh heh ... Yep, that's what I do for ~60 hours/week: Surf the 'Net

First, we have to define "easier" ... to some, that means not having to lift heavy things, while to others it means not having to strain their brain, and to others it means being able to leave work behind when you go home at the "end" of the day.

Is it "easier" to turn wrenches than it is to manage? Is it "easier" to push paper than it is to push tin? Does the engineer who designs bridges have it "easier" than the labourer who pours the concrete? Does the guy who fuels the jet have it "easier" than the guy who lands it?

Like I said, define "easier."

Some days I long for a job in which I can clock in, shut off my mind, put in my time, clock out, and leave it all behind at the end of my shift. Anyone who's seen the opening scene for "Laverne and Shirley" where the girls are supposedly doing QC on an endless line of beer bottles knows what I'm thinking about during these wistful moments.

I was an auto mechanic once upon a time and thought it was "hard" to have sore hands all the time. I thought it was "hard" to always have to deal with one stupid nut/bolt/stud that some stupid Engineer put in an impossible place. Now I think it's hard to never be able to truly escape being at work. I think it's hard to always be sorting out and fixing other people's problems. Every now and then I think that I wish I was still a greasy paw... then I replace a broken exhaust manifold bolt on my SUV and remember why I didn't want to do that any more.

The only thing I am certain of is that we all think that everyone else has it easier than we do.

It would be cool if we could all walk a mile in each-other's shoes.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary M View Post
                      Heh heh heh heh heh ... Yep, that's what I do for ~60 hours/week: Surf the 'Net

First, we have to define "easier" ... to some, that means not having to lift heavy things, while to others it means not having to strain their brain, and to others it means being able to leave work behind when you go home at the "end" of the day.

Is it "easier" to turn wrenches than it is to manage? Is it "easier" to push paper than it is to push tin? Does the engineer who designs bridges have it "easier" than the labourer who pours the concrete? Does the guy who fuels the jet have it "easier" than the guy who lands it?

Like I said, define "easier."

Some days I long for a job in which I can clock in, shut off my mind, put in my time, clock out, and leave it all behind at the end of my shift. Anyone who's seen the opening scene for "Laverne and Shirley" where the girls are supposedly doing QC on an endless line of beer bottles knows what I'm thinking about during these wistful moments.

I was an auto mechanic once upon a time and thought it was "hard" to have sore hands all the time. I thought it was "hard" to always have to deal with one stupid nut/bolt/stud that some stupid Engineer put in an impossible place. Now I think it's hard to never be able to truly escape being at work. I think it's hard to always be sorting out and fixing other people's problems. Every now and then I think that I wish I was still a greasy paw... then I replace a broken exhaust manifold bolt on my SUV and remember why I didn't want to do that any more.

The only thing I am certain of is that we all think that everyone else has it easier than we do.

It would be cool if we could all walk a mile in each-other's shoes.

Cheers!

Gary
                      Very well said Gary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X