Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can confirm the date of separation, the asset split is based on that date. You get arguments if you have been playing the same numbers with your spouse over the years.

Comment

Single unemployed Mom w/a 16 y/o son just recently won 30M on Lotto 6/49. Hamilton, Ontario.

Comment

Ask Ray Sobeski

Comment

Well I'd sure like to know what it's like to win a big jackpot but it would also be horrifying to see all the creeps come out of the woodwork.

Comment

My cousin won the lottery. The first several years were horrendous, apparently. While her family does have some sense of normalcy now, it wasn't easy. To this day, she has VERY LITTLE trust in people and it has affected all facets of her family life.

She has a lawyer on retainer at all times to deal with the sheenanigans; family has been sued multiple times and they actually redirect process servers directly to the law office.

In her opinion she would take that day back.

Comment

^ I believe it ^ - it's a double edged sword for sure. I'd probably turn into a recluse. Of course I'd bail a few friends out of trouble first, and donate some money to what I feel are worthwhile causes. But yeah, I'd probably be very private and keep most ppl at a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                ^ I believe it ^ - it's a double edged sword for sure. I'd probably turn into a recluse. Of course I'd bail a few friends out of trouble first, and donate some money to what I feel are worthwhile causes. But yeah, I'd probably be very private and keep most ppl at a distance.
                I would probably do the same. I would change the phone numbers and move to a more secure house with fences etc. It would be nice though to walk into a store and just buy what I want without looking at the price tags. My dream would be hire someone to do all the shopping for gifts, food etc for me, I hate shopping.

Comment

^ I hate shopping too. Ditto that. Nice house w/high fences and a few German Shepherds. I'd keep a low profile. But Man oh Man would I travel!!!

I'd also like to do some random acts of kindness where the person/s don't ever know who helped them. I've always thought that would be a nice feeling. Lol, I wish someone would rescue me (!!) Anonymously. Or what the hell, even publicly

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                    I would probably do the same. I would change the phone numbers and move to a more secure house with fences etc. It would be nice though to walk into a store and just buy what I want without looking at the price tags. My dream would be hire someone to do all the shopping for gifts, food etc for me, I hate shopping.
                    J.K.Rowling once mentioned how it was big deal for her to buy new facecloths when she was an unknown single parent. I don't begrudge her a penny of what she has made.

Comment

First fun thing I would try to accomplish would be to golf at all the premier championship courses in the world. Country by Country. Starting in Dubai after a wee shopping spree. I don't like shopping either but I could probably adjust.

Comment

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure would make a person more comfortable while pursuing happiness and altruism.

I'd probably even give my ex some gifts ... prepaid funeral service, condo in a senior residence... practical things.

Comment

Buffy St. Marie said that money can't buy happiness, but it can buy plane tickets, and plane tickets can give hapiness.

Comment

money cant buy happiness but it can make misery a hell of a lot more fun

Comment

If you're in the middle of a divorce, I would think it doesn't matter anyway. If you bought the ticket the day before you left... that's a different story. Ask Raymond Sobeski.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder what the letter from my ex's lawyer would say if I won 30M now, 6 years after separation (and them constantly and unreasonably wanting more money from me).

How much would they ask for, how much would they really want?

Our SS agreement is fixed and not effected by anything (so it says anyway).

My proposed SA states that lottery winnings are to be considered income for CS purposes and that the amount is extrapolated from the CS tables (which for 30 million is $432K/month which is 5 million for that year). That would suck, as it would be mostly used as SS and not CS. Her lawyer would probably argue that the 30 million was tax free and should be grossed up to 60 Million, which would be 10 million in CS that year!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X