X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obese Ottawa dad loses custody of kids

Obese Ottawa dad loses custody of kids - Ottawa - CBC News

....very sad!!

Not knowing the full story, or CAS's reasons for removing the kids, ((just from the article)) sounds like an abuse of their powers... I agree, if he was bed-ridden and such they'd have a case, but he's working hard to get healthy....

Best wishes for that family!

Comment

Isn't that a human rights violation?

Comment

Since when does CAS care about human rights? Especially parent's rights?

Once they have a file open they are very reluctant to close it until they are very confident about a parent. They are also very often biased against men. I hope in the long run, if this Dad has the money to fight, he will get at least some access to his sons.

If he has no money to fight the system though, he will probably never see them again. CAS is not in the business of reuniting families, only in breaking them up.

Sorry if it's a bit cynical.

Comment

I was really bothered by this. Certainly there seems to be a reason that the children were removed from both parents and that there is something "missing" from his story. But going on the information provided, seems to me that this dad has taken the necessary steps to put his life and health back on track. Why can't he be granted access? At least allow the family to be reunited and work with them to have these children back where they belong. Is it not better to be with at least one parent on a gradual basis, working up to a permanent home than to be in the system? Just boggles my mind.

Comment

This was on a segment of CBC radio on my drive into work today. My first reaction was "give him his kids".

But then one of the guest speakers (a CAS lawyer, a family counsellor, etc)., pointed out that during an evaluation, the father was incapable of walking across a room without physically exerting himself. The natural parents are estranged, the mother is out of the loop.

So, when I think about it, how can a physically disabled father actually parent a 5 and a 6 year on his own? And it could be any disability - not just obesity. If a parent can't physically care for their children, should there be some intervention/management?
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

the media went ape poo...when a disabled couple that had MS had a baby CAS raised there ugly head and swarms of people helped the couple ..think a foundation supplied someone....anyways too bad for the fat guy...his problem is being a guy...goes with the child that drew a gun at school and said his dad used to kill monsters and CAS and cops beat the poor guy down..was no gun though...oh and amber alerts are just for getting dads not vica verseee

Comment

Was anyone able to find his court ruling? I am looking on CANLII but no luck yet. I am on his side for the moment, and I wish I had time to go downtown. He is apparently staging a hunger strike on Parliament Hill today. I'd like to read the rulings of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by winterwolf7 View Post
                  Was anyone able to find his court ruling? I am looking on CANLII but no luck yet. I am on his side for the moment, and I wish I had time to go downtown. He is apparently staging a hunger strike on Parliament Hill today. I'd like to read the rulings of the court.
                  I am sure it will become as infamous as the Bruni v. Bruni decision. It is taking CanLII a long time to post decisions these days. I have been bothering them about the turn around time on the process.

Comment

I read the article in the news the other day. The father admitted to running a grow op, but had closed it down for the sake of his kids. He also lost 200 lbs for the sake of his kids. Looks like they focused on him being a grow op, and not a struggling father trying to overcome issues. Again another example of a broken system.

Comment

Yeah the newspapers keep citing parts of the 33 page decision but no luck finding it yet. I'll keep an eye out for it. It sounds like drugs, anger management and obesity were major factors against him at the time, but that he appears to have made a lot of progress in all three of this areas.

Comment

I've been following this case too.

There is a follow up article on the CBC website that provides some more details.

Obese man's sons being put up for adoption - Ottawa - CBC News

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                          I've been following this case too.

There is a follow up article on the CBC website that provides some more details.

Obese man's sons being put up for adoption - Ottawa - CBC News
                          Follow up from National Post is well written:

Obese father's only ‘crime’ is that he isn’t the best possible parent: Marni Soupcoff | Full Comment | National Post

Are we searching for the "Perfect Parent". When does the line perfection for which the court, custody evaluators and others in custody and access disputes get drawn?

Comment

Found the case:

CanLII - 2012 ONSC 3529 (CanLII)

Comment

I just finished reading the case and WOW!!!!!!!!

Kinda makes me scared...

I know 5 families who would have their children taken away for exactly those same reasons...yet they are seen as pillars of the community...holy hanna!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X