This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO does not enforce support order while payee is on welfare

My ex husband has been on welfare for the last 6 years and has zero intention of getting off welfare and finding a job. He is working on the side and there is evidence of this on the internet. I've reported this to the Welfare fraud hotline, to no avail.

Because he is on welfare, FRO will not enforce the support order. After a 4 day trial last year, my lawyer was able to convince the judge to obtain his bank and credit card records which showed heavy spending on travel, gas, jewelry etc. The judge imputed his income to almost $40K, a far cry from the 12K or less he was reporting on his taxes every year (welfare income).

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? From what I'm told, welfare fraud can only do so much - so long as he tells them his children are hungry, they will continue to support him. He has remarried and has two more children. He owes me over $40K in child support and I was also awarded $13K in costs, which are to be enforced as support as well - so he owes me over $50K.

Any help or comments are really appreciated - I'm quite frustrated with this situation - it's really unfair how he's getting away with this. As a sidenote, he has not seen our children in almost 4 years - both his choice and the children's choice, which became the decision of the Children's lawyer as well.

Does he have any significant assets? RRSPs? A house? He' s purchased jewelry. Has your lawyer looked into seizing assets for unpaid support?

FRO may not enforce the order via deductions from his welfare check, but they CAN (and should be) going after his income tax/GST credits.

It sucks, but if you are with FRO, the arrears will build and build. He'll be unable to drive, as his license will become suspended. He'll never be able to work, since the second he goes off welfare, FRO will be all over him.

Here's the thing, it sucks for you and the kids, but it sucks a LOT more for him. Living on welfare sucks balls, it's well below poverty line and is NOT a nice way to live.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the arrears to FRO will not come into effect until he comes off welfare. At this point you are SOL if Welfare will not do anything about the fraud... They don't seem to do anything about reports I know.

Basically the second he comes off welfare he will have wages garnished... that is if that ever happens, and if he is on welfare I am guess that he has none of his assets actually in his own name.

Good luck!

Comment

Get on with your life. Sounds like you're better off. You seem to be under the misguided belief that our system of justice is fair. Wake up.

Don't call welfare, call Immigration Canada!

Comment

[/quote]
          Don't call welfare, call Immigration Canada![/quote]

Did I miss something? Why Immigration Canada?

Comment

Don't call welfare, call Immigration Canada![/quote]

Did I miss something? Why Immigration Canada?[/quote]

Comment

My ex has pulled the same stunt. now he is workers comp. Yes it sucks. There is not much anyone can do to enforce it. YET. welfare wont let him collect it forever. One hopes.

Best advise? don't let it occupy free rent in your head. Look at it this way. He is sitting on welfare. His children do not have a relationship with him. If and when he was ever to get off wellfare the chances of him ever seeing a cent he earns is next to none and the FRO will make his already pathetic existance unbearable. It will catch up with him one day. Rest easy knowing this. Move on, support your kids any way you have to.

Comment

Did I miss something? Why Immigration Canada?
                No kidding, wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  No kidding, wtf?
                  So, where do they deport to these days? Australia has been long since abused with deadbeat citizens

Comment

I heard they send 'em all to The Quebec nowadays, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

bah!
                      first off, OW's basic amount for a single male is only something like 5 bills a month. If one truly needs that safety net - it would make living even further impossible to be reduced.

second - they don't make people get off it. are you kidding? its a joke, really. i've been on it myself for month or two stretches twice in the past 20 years. i've been told by a worker they can tell at the look of someone they interview if they're going to be a 'lifer' or not.

i'm glad we have it, as i've been reduced to it. but i'm sick of it too. how hard is it to pull your socks up and get on with it?

Comment

Did the Judge make an Order from the income he imputted?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X