This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other side running up bills

Is there anything that can be done about unecessary legal bills.
    We have been hashing out a separation agreement for 3 years now.
    Our last case conference was for the purpose of determining how much child support I should pay my ex now that he's quit his job and only getting his WSIB income.
    His lawyer didn't show to court and my ex had not even provided us with his T4 or income statement before court. So we went for nothing, nothing was determined and everything was put off for another day.

I have already paid my lawyer all my proceeds from the sale of our matrimonial home and I still owe her another $4000 that I do not have. I do not even have enough money to pay child support if he does succeed.

Right from the beginning he and his lawyer have sent ridiculous proposals to be signed and when I've asked my ex he just says "Call your lawyer" or " It's negotiations, you're supposed to counter back"
    To me that is ridiculous - why pay the lawyer to counter back a proposal that is assinine and ridiculous (he wanted to get all the tax benefits for the kids and I would pay him $1 child support - this when he made almost twice as much as me and we shared the kids 50/50)

Anyway, is there anything I can do about their unnecessary and costly delays.

That how lawyers make money... That why they create (increase) conflict. Yes I still believe that biggest part of where we are now is may ex's lawyer.

I saw couple of times thous 1$ CS or SS.
    What is reasoning behind that? is it something to do with TAXES ? can someone explain?

Thank you

Comment

It was my understanding that if you don't ask for child support in the beginning you cannot come back later and ask for it. So I'm guessing the $1 is to keep his foot in the door so that he could come back later when he wasn't making as much and ask for more. But like I said at the time he was making much more than I and we shared the kids so me paying him anything made no sense whatsoever.
      And the part about him getting all the child tax benefit was ridiculous as well, the government determines that by your income.

I am afraid I have to fire my lawyer and self represent because I cannot afford her anymore. That scares me to death.

Comment

Legal fees paid to establish or enforce child support are tax-deductible. The $1 might be so that he can deduct the fees. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
          Legal fees paid to establish or enforce child support are tax-deductible. The $1 might be so that he can deduct the fees. Just a guess.
          I believe it only if you apply for getting child support. Not responding to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bookgirl1209 View Post
            It was my understanding that if you don't ask for child support in the beginning you cannot come back later and ask for it. So I'm guessing the $1 is to keep his foot in the door so that he could come back later when he wasn't making as much and ask for more. But like I said at the time he was making much more than I and we shared the kids so me paying him anything made no sense whatsoever.
            And the part about him getting all the child tax benefit was ridiculous as well, the government determines that by your income.

I am afraid I have to fire my lawyer and self represent because I cannot afford her anymore. That scares me to death.
            cs can be asked for at anytime throughout your child's life while in school. The only variance could be of how far they can go back retroactively. If no history of asking for cs then maybe 3 years. If asked for it from day one and you end up in litigation for 5-10 years then you could be on the hook for that time, this of course is just an opinion but I believe I am close. Also cs is the right of the child and can not the parent, you or he can not negotiate that away, not in the courts anyway.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X